Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to find Salvia fruticosa seeds

Posted by paul_johnson 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 15:36

I have been trying to find Salvia fruticosa seeds in the U.S. I have not had any luck doing searches. I was hoping some one may be able to direct me to someplace I can order them. I have found on the forum posts on trading them, but I unfortunately do not have anything to trade so I was hoping to find a nursery or seed company that sells them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to find Salvia fruticosa seeds

I've only seen them occasionally here and i the UK. They come in and out of availability, it seems. Keep looking and eventually they will show up.

o

Mostly, seeds of Salvia species are offered when that is the most convenient way to propagate them. Many do not set much seed well,and for many species, ripe seed is not held in the calyx for more than 4 to 10 days before the calyx falls off, or the seed falls out. Also, finches love the seeds of many. This makes collecting them very tedious.

New World species are generally much harder to collect than Old World species. Fortunately, S. fruticosa is closely related to Old World S. officinalis, which does set seed well enough to be readily available. Some hybrids of garden sage have S. fruticosa genes in them.

Unless there is a good market for them, seeds of Salvias are generally not available. Did you try Seed Seva?

o

Paul,

Here is where you can buy them, they are under their other name salvia triloba, I purchased them there and they do have the 3 point leaf.

Cheers Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia triloba

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here