Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting in Sandy Soil

Posted by AAJ_1623 Delaware (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 16:28

I have a small spot (6' x 4') in from of my house in Rehoboth Beach and am looking for suggestions on what to plant. Want some color, drought tolerant varieties no more than two to three feet in height max and does not attract bees (butterflies are fine, wife hates bees). Have looked at some Sativa varieties and a dwarf butterfly bush but am open to ideas. Thank you
Big Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting in Sandy Soil

What Salvias are you looking at?
Many of my Salvias and Butterfly Bushes (Buddleia spp.)
have always attracted bees, butterflies and hummingbirds
being they are after the same thing ..nectar.
Maybe someone closer to you than I am can answer your
question on bees.
Art

o

Thank you Art. I have a larger butterfly bush in my backyard and that doesn't seem to attract any bees. Maybe I should just go with the dwarf butterfly bush in the front. I know it will grow fine with the sandy, well drained soil.
Al

o

Do you mean both honey bees and bumblebees? How about wasps and hornets? The latter two are no problem with Salvias. If your wife has a tolerance of one kind of bee, small blue flowers attract honey bees, and bumblebees prefer larger flowers, but will work the smaller ones as well.

Use compost and coffee grounds to build up humus in your sandy soil. This will help with heat stress during the summer. Hardwood bark mulch does a great job holding in moisture, and breaks down into just the right kind of humus for Salvias.

o

Bumblebees may not be able to feed from many kinds of salvia but that doesn't mean they don't spend all summer trying. Some of the cultivars of Salvia greggii might do OK as long they occasionally get a light feeding. We are talking about dune sand, correct? Here in southern NJ greggii cultivar Wild Thing has been particularly durable. Other Texas varieties like White would do equally as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here