Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Leucantha help needed

Posted by LBoyce Z5NY (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 05 at 18:05

Last year I went way overboard buying this plant. I overwintered them in my basement. The other day I noticed new growth coming off the old branches. I would really appreciate if someone could explain to me how to cut this new growth off to start new cuttings. The branches look dead but the new growth is as green as ever! Do I just cut at the base of the new growth?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Leucantha help needed

I think it would be too young. I've had best success makking cuttings on half-hard wood. You caould wait a while to make your cuttings, or perhaps someone else on forum will have advice on what you can do now. Also, cuttting off 6" from ground level should give you new shoots and perfect plants off your original pots.

o

Hi Brenda....I had to pot all my Salvia Leucantha as I am in Zone 5 and could not put them in the ground if I wanted them next year. Some of the new growth is pretty long already but it is growing off the branches...maybe the branches aren't dead???

Linda

o

Definitely not dead if anything live is growing off them. If the plant will be too leggy for you growing as it is now, cut the brown part off at about 6" from ground and more green shoots will come from it. The longer you wait to do this, the more energy the plant will expend on new shoots you don't want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here