Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much pinching would you do?

Posted by clematisintegrifolia Santa Monica, CA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 20:24

How much pinching back to promote branching would you do on Salvia macrophylla seedlings? I have a bunch from last years plant in a big pot. Most of them are nice and bushy but a few have started to shoot up rapidly. Pinch again or just leave them and let them bloom earlier?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much pinching would you do?

It depends on the number of nodes you have. It branches freely on its own, and if you need to, you can promote branching simply by removing early flower heads.

Cool temps and bright light will promote growth.

o

Thanks. And I meant to say microphylla.

o

Most of us must ask that same question. Here in South Jersey some types of microphylla can be so lush that the problem is solved by the time we're done thinking about it. They really respond to fairly well manured soil and regular water. How often do you plan to water them in the dry season?

o

I am just a few blocks away from the beach so "May Mist" and "June Gloom" make the start of the dry season not too bad. I'll just water when they hit temporary wilting point. Now once the real heat wave kicks in later in the season and those Santa Ana winds are making everything unbearable I will water for a bit until I get sick of it and they I will probably just let them go. Last year this didn't happen until September. All my Salvia's died because I decided to stop watering them. But then with the first bit of rain we got in November hundreds of microphylla seedlings started coming up all over the places and then with the huge rain storms we had here in Jan/Feb. the guaranitica 'Black & Blue' came back from its tuberous root stalks so I'm in business again.

o

Maybe you will get lucky and there will be a seedling that won't die because you are sick of watering.

o

lol by your comment you seem to be judging me. I didn't mean to be flip with my answer about "getting sick of them".

I am gardening on a small balcony and don't have any more room for the larger pots that these big Salvia would require to be permanent. With several weeks of 100 degree weather that September brought last year I would have had to water them several times a day and I already wish I could be more water wise in my gardening.

Enjoying my plants until the later summer/fall heat and then letting them set seed/go dormant or die is no worse then people in cold climates who grow Salvia or other tender perennials as annuals.

Next time I will try to word my answers more carefully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here