Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoebe1969_gw

What Salvia did not over winter for you?

phoebe1969
19 years ago

I posted the Salvias that made it on the "Pineapple sage is back" thread started by another member. I was wondering what has not made it through this Winter for you?

I had a Forskaohlei that I believe rotted from wet weather and inside I lost a Van Houteii Paul :( which I got in the Fall and tried to over winter inside. My regular VanHouteii, Semiatrata and Melissodora are still ok inside, if they'll only just hang on a 'lil while longer!!

Comments (16)

• helena_z8_ms
    19 years ago

I see no sign of life from my 'Phyllis Fancy'and urica. One of mine splendens died while another has nice growth coming. I do have young plants of the first two since I took cuting in autumn. It's still a little early to know about all of them.

• CA Kate z9
    19 years ago

Alas, Salvias Apiana, East Friesland, darcyi and spathacea show no signs of life.

• mimidi
    19 years ago

I don't know the Latin name but I haven' seen my "Lady in Red" yet.

• rosewomann
    19 years ago

I don't even want to look out there! More snow on the way & lots of them looked waterlogged the last time I took a stroll - not a good look for a Salvia. :-(

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Mine are all still inside the house since I brought them in in November. all are doing well so far but i am getting very anxious to get them back outside though it will be awhile since we just got another 8+ inches of snow.

Penny

• skrip
    19 years ago

Salvia Blue Angel and My 2 year old Salvia Victoria Blue Queen.. Dont understand what happened... my V.Blue Queen I have pruned to the ground before and its come back.

I am hoping the Blue Angel comes back, those are the prettiest biggest blues that I have in my garden. Or Had I should say.

• sierrahiker
    19 years ago

I live in Roseville,ca (8) and I lost Guaranitica (rot at the base) , a Van Houttei burgundy at only 32 degrees and my marine blue is looking seasick.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

oh i forgot to mention that my pineapple sage was left outside and only a miracle will bring that one back as is is under about a foot of snow. It was just way to big to bring in as I knew it wouldn't be hardy here.

Penny

• jwmeyer
    19 years ago

I'm new to growing Salvia and have a few basic questions. Most strains of this plant are perrenial? Do they handle being planted in a container? Are they a light loving flower?

Thanks folks...told ya I was new to this...

• euphorbphreak
    19 years ago

I haven't seen any sign of my Salvia prunelloides yet this year :( It's such a pretty one too.

jwmeyer, there are hundreds of salvia species (not strains), and many cultivars and hybrids of the species as well. Many are perennial, some are annual, and some perennials are grown as annuals in cold climates. Some do quite well in containers, others would sulk. There are drought tolerant winter growing salvias from South Africa, temperate climate ones from China, tropical ones from Central and South America, European natives and some native to the US. Some like full sun, some prefer shade, some are quite adaptable. I'm sure if you ask for a particular situation, you'll get plenty of ideas here.

David

• jwmeyer
    19 years ago

Well Thanks David, appreciate the input. I obtained these seeds from a gal on this site that was giving them away. I'll need to try and find that post and see if she has the species listed.

Thanks again.

• Phylla
    18 years ago

I was very happy to see salvia madrensis come back this spring in zone 7 NC,..did not last year. This was planted out as a 3 gallon pot overwintering in a 50 degree greenhouse. I think there's a lot to be said about getting the zone 7 marginal salvias with a whupping root system ready to go in spring.

Start them off strong, ie, gallon or 3 gallon pots, plant in May, and mulch well for winter. I've had good results with this. That said, this year in NC, I'm finding that the normal returns of salvia leucantha and Waverly are not coming back.

They are worth it to replant, though.

• Lisa_z6OR
    18 years ago

Interesting thread. I was surprised that my Indigo Spires, Purple Majesty and Forsythia sage did not make it through a very mild winter. My salvia garuarantica, elegans, elegans "honeydew", Hot Lips, and Desert Blaze all made it. My Hot Lips looks the best out of the group.

I bought a 4" Indigo Spires for a container grouping and since it needed a trimming I now I have a cutting started. I'm thinking about getting another Forsythia sage and putting it in a shadier spot. Last year it was in full sun and that might have been to much for it.

Lisa

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

My 'Purple Majesty' did not make it either. Neither did 'El Cielo', but I think that's because it was too newly planted before cold weather. All other salvias made it - leucantha, Black and Blue, Blue Hill, Hot Lips, Furman's Red, Marachino.

• wardw
    18 years ago

Black & Blue, Uliginosa, and elegans all came back, also with the expected types like Transylvanica. Salvia Greggii was flooded out, and it was no surprise the Mexican Bush Sage failed to come through.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I fully expect to lose 'Lady in Red' and S. farinacea 'Victoria Blue' this year and every year. I expect S. dorrii, S. officinalis, S. 'Wild Thing', S. azurea and S. pachyphylla to return every year (They have so far). I don't grow the S. nemorosa varieties. I'm HOPING that S. spathacea, S. guaranitica varieties, S. chamaedryoides, S. penstemonoides, S. semiatrata and S. reptens will return, but I just got them this spring. I even had an S. x jamensis hybrid return this year, although it got pretty beat down by 4 feet of snow on top of it.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs