Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady in Red

Posted by livetofish 9B (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 21:09

The sole Lady in Red is in a pot and despite the mild Houston winter has died down completely.

All other salvias are putting out leaf buds but not this one. Should I just forget about it and buy a new one.

Just don't want to lose a plant that I cared for over last few years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady in Red

When fast growing sages (and other plants) get old, the work needed to run its vascular system is harder, and they often die . Also, the root system has pretty much used up the best nutrients and has been decomposing, raising the titer of pathogenic micro flora and fauna.

A plant is considered a perennial if it lasts five years. The best way to keep one plant going is to root cuttings or divide the crown every 2 - 3 years. It's a lesson I've learned many times with my collection.

Sometimes the 2 - 3 year old plants make it better through the winter, especially if the replacement cutting was rooted late in the season and had too few roots for its pot.

o
RE: Lady in Red

My Lady in Red self-seeds like crazy. I have them throughout my garden. They take over the joint if I don't thin them out. every year.

~Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here