Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbarnes001

Variegated Salvia greggii x jamensis

bbarnes001
13 years ago

What colors of Salvia greggii x jamensis has everyone seen in variegated forms? Ive seen red and white flower colors. But do any others exist?

Brent

Comments (12)

• robinmi_gw
    13 years ago

There is one in the UK called 'Moonlight Over Ashwood', which was raised at Ashwood Nurseries. It has cream flowers, which, unfortunately don't stand out as the variegated foliage is quite creamy. But many people like it.

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

Brent:
    FYI:"Desert Blaze" and "Rachel' are both from this side of
    the border. Rachel was found by Greg Grant. Desert Blaze
    was released some years ago don't have the full story on that one.
    Art

• bbarnes001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anyone have 'desert blaze'. I selected a variegated S. greggii x jamensis. Genetic, came up from seed i collected. It looks like a nice L2. Lots of deep yellow in the leaf. I just want to try to cross it with another one. I want to look at the progeny percentage. It hasnt flowered yet. Hoping its something other than white or cream, or red.... Ill take pictures later.

Brent

• bbarnes001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of my colleagues at UCR just found a variegated sport on a trimmed back salvia greggii x jamensis. It is in our large population of plants for garden sales. Its growing off of a yellow plant though. Our second plant of the year. Hopefully it is stable!

Brent

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

Brent :
    Let us know on the stablility of the variegation.
    Desert Blaze always reverted back due to our heat.
    Art

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

Brent,I'm assuming UC Riverside, right? How often are your sales? Info on website? Much in the way of salvias offered? Thanks for info....
    Sherry
    Fallbrook

• bbarnes001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sherry,

Not much for salvias. natives and a few others. all of the new colors of greggii x jamensis that i select are there every year. The garden website has the list of plants at the sales. They are in spring and winter. Ill sell you stuff too if you want small rooted plants or larger. Just email me if you want to.

brent

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

Thanks...I'll bear that in mind and check the website......

• Ralph Whisnant
    13 years ago

I acquired 'Desert Blaze' on sale at a local nursery here in Raleigh last fall. The person that I bought it from warned me to be vigilant in cutting back any branches that started to show signs of reversion to non-variegated leaves. So far it has not put on enough new growth for me to tell how much of a problem that will be here, but I suspect that the nursery personnel had been trimming these plants back and that was the reason that they were somewhat straggly looking.

• bbarnes001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pictures of the two plants. One on a yellow flowering plant and the other is still unknown, it came up from seed.

Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: plants

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Brent:

Check to see if the variegation persists in cuttings. I hope it is stable.

I'm keeping an eye on some cuttings of S. splendens "vanhouttei Paul' which is showing some variegation like Dancing Flames, an orange flowered form. Paul has deep purple flowers.

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

Rich & Brent:
    Looks like some winners coming along.There is a pink greggii
    down the street that has flowers showing up like the flowers
    on Sg "Teresa". I am going to ask for cuttings from the owner.
    she also has some interesting seedlings one microphylla that
    is tall but has small leaves like S micro. var grahammii.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider