Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions wanted on Salvia selections

Posted by grassboro NC 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 22:24

I am planning to plant some Salvias for the first time. I am located in central NC z7b with amended clay soil. I am planting a bed with ornamental grass and want to add some perennials that are deer resistant. I will get noon through afternoon south-west sun.

Like many, I want long blooming and easy care plants. I am leaning towards light blue, blue and white colors mixing short and taller plants. Does anyone have any comments of these Salvias.

Azure Sage Nekan, Salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue', Salvia nemorosa 'Blauhugel' Blue Hill Sage, Salvia chamaedryoides (Perennial Blue Oak Sage), Salvia nemorosa 'Schneehugel' Snow Hill, Salvia farinacea 'Augusta Duelberg' and Salvia greggii 'Texas Wedding'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions wanted on Salvia selections

grassboro:

Long blooming Salvias in Blue,White,light blue.S.guaranitica
Black and Blue keep in mind 1) pine voles love the tubers 2) this one spreads underground. Salvia farinacea "Augusta Duelberg",greggii "Texas Wedding" for plant that don't move around the garden.
S.azurea has reliable cold tolerance mine only blooms in the fall.
The German forms "Blauhugel" & "Schneehugel" for the front of the border. they will need some occasional prunning to
keep them compact.
S.chamaedryoides may need some additional soil amending a
Electric blue flower very nice.
Richard is closer to you I would see what he has to say as well.
Art

o

S. guaranitica `Argentina Skies' is light blue with a long bloom season. It has tubers also. These can be protected to a great degree by working crushed rock, which will deter the tunneling moles, looking for beetle larvae and earthworms. Voles are weak, and therefore, opportunistic diggers. Plants with tubers generally have evolved in hard plains soils with limestone, or in rocky scree soils on alpine slopes. There is relatively little food for tunneling predators in these environments, unlike forest soils and their accompanying clearings. Xeric plants have often evolved by necessity to have large starch storage organs, and usually where predators are absent.

A lot of bulbs like Colchicum (toxicity) and Allium (obnoxious taste) have other defense organisms. Alliums like onion and garlic are toxic to dogs and especially cats. Salvias are largely deer and rabbit resistant because of strong tastes and bitterness. Often, rabbits and deer will sample sage plants. They will eat them if there is nothing else.

o

Rich,Thank you for these observations.

o

Thanks for the comments. They are very helpful. I have also found the web page "Notes on Growing Salvias in Central North Carolina by Will Cook".
The author notes his experiences with Salvis in Chapel Hill, NC, which is where I live. So this is also helpful. I look forward to growing some this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here