Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two salvias to ID

Posted by purpledaisy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 0:24

Hi everyone,
These are two salvias I was given last year. They are just flowering for the first time.
The yellow, whose flowers haven't opened, has large rough leaves, stands about 4 feet high and a really lime colour to the new growth.
The pink has a very pink tinge to the stalks and a limey green coloured leaf, as you can see in the photo. It is smaller, 2 foot tall.
Does anyone know what I have?
Regards
Susie

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two salvias to ID

The pink one looks like Salvia involucrata 'Bethellii' or it could possibly be Salvia puberula. The yellow one is likely to be Salvia madrensis.

Robin.

o

Robin has it down as well as I can get it myself. We would need to see the foliage of the first and another involucre or two to decide between bethelii or puberula. Bethelii is more erect than puberula, which is more vase-like in habit. The temperature and light conditions of submissions for identification make these judgments relative, so side-by-side comparisons are more useful.

o

Thank you both,
I'm amazed that you can ID them so quickly. I've had a look online and I think it is probably bethellii as the foliage looks more similar, pink stalks. I've uploaded another photo which shows the habit and leaves better for your interest.
Regards
Susie

o

I believe it is bethelii because of the shape of the involucre, which is a bit less sperical than puberula Hidalgo, the width to length aspect ratio of the leaves (longer in bethelii), and the slightly mottled color of the foliage.

o

Susie:

Those are very pretty plants. Where do you live? I am not familiar with either of those salvias.

Becky

o

I should have said Becky, I'm in Australia.
I'd imagine you can get these in the US as we generally have stricter quarantine and import than you seem to.
Regards
Susie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here