Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Twist ' your best container salvia'

Posted by sierrahiker 8,9 central ca. (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 05 at 1:08

I have so many cuttings that have rooted this year that I am going to put some in containers for my deck.lets hear a response as to how your's did in containers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Twist ' your best container salvia'

I put my annuals & some smaller salvias in containers: Salvia splendens,coccinea, elegans,farinacea, forskaohlei,horminium, sinaloensis & sclarea.

o

These from Africa work well in containers, they have interesting foliage;

Salvia namaensis
S. africana-lutea (S. aurea)
S. muirii
S. taraxacifolia
S. lanceolata
S. dentata
S. africana-caerulea

These are from Western Asia;
S. daghastanica
S. canescens v. daghastanica

Of course many will work in a container. For some species you would need a LARGE container.

SG

o

Hello,
Please excuse the ignorance here, but do these bloom all summer long? What about Salvia patens?
I've seen Salvia in lots of planters at shopping/rec centres, but I only seem to see them when they are blooming!

Jan (who's trying Salvia for the first time this year! :-D )

o

Some do, some don't bloom all summer.

Some bloom in spring, some in summer, some in fall and some even in winter with protection where needed.

Oh! and then there are those that bloom from spring to frost.

SG

o

The smaller sizes do well in ample containers -- I'm not sure about ones that get quite large.

o

"Oh! and then there are those that bloom from spring to frost."

Well, that sounds good for containers (although "interesting foliage" could win a place in my containers too!)

So, for a 6 gallon container, shared with other annuals, who's going to bloom happily all summer??

Thank you,
Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here