Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

how are your seedlings doing?

hummersteve
17 years ago

Come on now , I know you planted some seeds . Are they what you thought they would be , happy, big leafy foliage. Or runty like they will never be anything. A lot of mine look exceptional, bigger foliage than I ever expected. Mine are still in flats but in their own pots and I bottom water the whole thing. But I do add plant food and superthrive to the water . Didnt know how this would turn out, but am getting bigger healthier greener folliage than Ive had before on any trial runs. The ones that are really going crazy are; subrotunda, lady in red , scarlet sage, salvia bonfire. Im going to have to start dividing again because of the exceptional follage. Im beginning to fear that IM going to have to start cutting back on feeding and just water for a while, its scary.

Comments (19)

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

These three sages (subrotunda, coccinea, and splendens) all seem to be suffused with the typical robustness of their native country, Brazil. There are other choice ones, yet not in cultivation - bring `em on!

• ramazz
    17 years ago

I have some plants that are now outside - they are too big to be under lights any longer. Some are on the deck, some on the front porch. These are elegans, guaranitica (from my B&Bs), hians, nutans, taraxacifolia, nubicola, napifolia, transylvanica, przewalskii, and lyrata (with buds). I have other seedlings under lights - forskaohlei, patens, penstemonoides, ringens, viridis,and more. Then I have some that I just recently planted that I hope will be sprouting soon. I started the perennial ones first and am working my way down to the ones that are annual in my zone.

I got smarter on the second and third rounds and didn't plant as many of each variety. I have about 20 pineapple sage plants, and way too many nubicolas, but being a pessimist, I didn't expect all of those seeds to sprout! My co-workers and neighbors may find surprises outside their doors . . . these are big, robust plants already.

Becky

• wardda
    17 years ago

Yes, with subrotunda and the pink version splendens Van H. you almost have to jump out of the way, they come up so fast. I still haven't planted all the coccinea types I possess, but there never seems to be a rush on that species. Well maybe Dreamsicle, which is bigger in every way than any of the standard type coccineas I grow and takes quite a bit longer to bloom.

It is hardening off time here for some of the early starters. They are up against the garage in the shade learning to be outside plants.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have ran a fan on my seedling almost as soon as they sprouted so maybe that accounts for hardening off some. Yes my plants are definitely getting big enough to be outside some. Yes the robustness of subrotunda , coccinea and bonfire has surprised and delighted me to no end.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think once you learn which ones are easy like coccinea and subrotunda theres no reason to start them so early. Trial by error or something like that. Since my yard is small I will be potting some of the extras that should be a smaller plant and at the same time more mobile. Hummers should have some fun in my yard this year. Last year I only had a couple of hostas and one korean mint of which they ignored and will be removed, but boy they were really possessive of my feeders.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Right now I have more coccineas ('Coral Nymph') than brains. I have just started potting those up individually. Seeds from my Black & Blue have done very well but even though they have just recently sprouted and many still only have their cotyledons, I can tell I am going to have quite a few 'different' variations from the parent plant. Some of the cotyledons are very large and some are very small. Considereing the fact that I had B&B, the Van Remsen form of B&B and Purple Majesty growing in close proximity to one another I suspect I will get some very interesting sports...time will tell. I also have 3 seedlings up and growing well from the 4 seeds that I collected from one of the B&B sports from last year that had a red flower. If I do get anything noteworthy I will post pics.

Penny

• ramazz
    17 years ago

Here are some of my larger salvia seedlings, plus a few that are returning from last year. I have several that I am not sure what they are (poor labeling plus purchased seeds that sprouted into two different varieties) but once they bloom I hope to identify them). Most grew indoors under lights and are now outside, either still in pots or recently put in the front yard.

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: salvias

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Great pics Becky!

Penny

• nearlywild
    17 years ago

Becky, your pics are great. For several years I have been into antique roses, but have gotten discouraged with roses in general. Now I am starting with salvias and planted my first seed this year. I'm like the person said earlier, I have a million coccina--Coral Nymph, patens, and farinacea. The question now is whether I can get the seedings moved to pots and growing off.

I am trying to learn some of the major salvias for my area, but wow am I getting bogged down is so many salvias. I think I will just pick up one of whatever the local nurseries offer and see what I get when they grow.

Anyone want to make suggestions for me, I am open for comments about salvia for north Mississippi.

• jeraperthro
    16 years ago

Ughhh.. I'm having such a hard time with my white sage seeds. Actually, I got a decent germination rate (maybe 40%), 72 seeds in a Burpee Ultimate Growing System tray-and-greenhouse-lid contraption. Beautiful sproutings within 6 days. But I couldn't keep the sprouts alive for the past two weeks. Maybe one is still clinging to life. What am I doing wrong? Is it too wet? Should I leave the lid off? More sunlight outside when it's not too cold? The disappointment is killing me: I was really excited to get these seeds. Can anyone tell me what to do?

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jereperthro

As soon as you get sprouts you should remove the lid completely. The first leaves you get are not true leaves but are the food source for the plant for a few days. What kind of tray do you have ? does it have ridges on the bottom ? If so they are there for a reason, watering from the bottom. I have two flats and all seedlings are doing well. The first two or three weeks I run a small fan on my seedling to help prevent damp off. After they get their first true leaves I move mine out of cell packs into their own original small peat pot, of which holes need to be punched in the bottom to allow water to be drawn. The water you use will need to have a very light mix of food. I used the same mix I feed my african violets 1/4 tsp per gal, when they are more established the mix is 1/2 tsp per gal. Hope this helps

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to add that I grow my seedlings under floresant lighting, from day one , Im sure you can grow them under natural lighting, but for germination, I dont trust it. Im not familiar with white sage , but I grow scarlet sage, lady in red for exammple and I get nearly 100% on those. I also keep the room warm for germination at least around 75 and then cooler after. Also the plants must still have at least 8hrs of darkness.

• jeraperthro
    16 years ago

Salvia Apiana, that's the "white sage" I'm trying. The tray has ridges at the bottom, yes. The entire system is from Burpee. From top to bottom: Clear lid, 72-cell seed tray, cloth/fiber mat that draws water from bottom tray, stilt tray to raise the mat, bottom tray. I'm figuring not to put any water in the bottom at all, huh? I'll go by your suggestions (I don't have the flourescant lights, though). I hope they do better! The seeds, and even the short-lived sprouts had an awesome aroma, so I'd really love these to become full healthy plants. Thanks!

• jeraperthro
    16 years ago

Well, so far, I think that Salvia Apiana does not want an "Ultimate Growing System" 72-cell seeding tray. I think it's just naturally 'too good.' Too nice, too wet. I have some long planters I keep on the porch, mixed some dried-out potting soil and sand, on top of pebbles (and or the dead sweetgum balls). I moisted it all and gave it a day or so to dry from the top before planting the seeds. The few salvia sprouts I see there, seem to be of a more appropriate growth rate (the white stems below the surface, and the leaves pairing up properly). So I guess when they say it wants less-rich edge-of-the-desert conditions, they ain't lying.

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

One of my guaranitica seedlings is 34" tall and about to bloom. I'm guessing it's a B&B.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dicot
    16 years ago

Jeraperthro - I started a thread about growing xeric salvias from seed that had Rich Dufresne's and a grower from Theodore Payne's suggestions about S. apiana and other desert sages. You moght want to check that for ideas.

I just potted up my seeds 2 weeks ago - virdris, reptans and guaranitica are doing fine, but no sign of life from africana-lutea yet.

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Helena:

Yes, that is a lovely B&B! Where did you get your seeds?

Dicot, those africana-lutea seeds are very slow, plus the germination rate is low. I soaked a few in gibberillic acid and still only got one sprout. I wish someone who has been successful with those would post their secrets.

Becky

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

Thanks Becky. I got my seeds from 2 different gardenweb gardeners and seeds I purchased a few years ago from SG.
    I have 9 guaranitica seedlings altogether at different stages. I have better germination with older seeds than fresh.
    Helena

• jeraperthro
    16 years ago

Dicot- Thanks much! The thread should help me out.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner