Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danitagardens

Southern Salvia Suggestions

danita
17 years ago

Hello All,

I'm looking for interesting suggestions for long blooming and/or hardy Salvias for growing in GA(hot, humid), zone 7b. I've read up on many different Salvias but so much growing info is based on California-like climates. If something is really beautiful I'm willing to lug it inside over the winter with the rest of my tender plants. I have various sun exposures and can accommodate different soil requirements. Any favorites? I've included a list of the Salvias I own below.

Is the large peach-pink splendens form available in the USA the same as the one on Robin's website? Too pretty!

Are there any spl. 'Van Houttei' forms that bloom longer? I love mine but would really like to add one with earlier blooms too.

Slightly off topic, but I have a Scutellaria ocmulgee plant that I would love to propagate. Do you think cuttings would root as well as Salvias do?

Thanks so much for the help!

Danita

Established plants I currently have:

guaranitica - unknown cobalt blue, 'Black & Blue,' and 'Argentina Skies'

uliginosa

madrensis

mexicana -unknown green calyx, cobalt flower

'Mystic Spires'

nemorosa 'May Night'

nemorosa 'Caradonna'

greggii -unknown red

spl. 'Van Houttei' burgundy

Comments (7)

• helena_z8_ms
    17 years ago

Danita, I grew the peach pink salvia splendens from seed I got from seedhunt last year. They were gorgeous blooms, the plant grew 4 to 5 ft and it's going to be a perrenial plant for me. It bloomed twice before the frost got it.
    Helena

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

Cold-framed Vanhouttei sages will just sit there in spring, then suddenly explode into growth. It will take the same amount of time for any of the forms to achieve blooming.

Nemerosas and pratensis forms are usually the first to bloom, followed by guaraniticas, greggiis, and microphyllas.

If you have a cold frame or a greenhouse, you can advance the vanhoutteis and other sages for earlier blooms. A well-managed cold frame or unheated greenhouse is actually better than a fully automated greenhouse. By well-managed, I include prevention of hard freezes and high temps inside the structures and modest watering but not let the plants dry out.

• danita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info Helena! I'll have to get some seed this fall. I'm thinking it's probably too late to bother this spring.

Thanks Rich! Like you said my Vanhouttei was perfectly happy in an unheated sun porch and is now putting on a lot of growth. Since you live in a similar climate, do you have any favorite Salvias that you wouldn't be without? I'm looking for something more unusual than what you can pick up at the local nursery.

Thanks Again,
    Danita

• dicot
    17 years ago

These aren't all perennial, but they are native to the South (according to USDA).
    Salvia azurea
    Salvia pitcheri
    Salvia chapmanii
    Salvia coccinea
    Salvia farinacea
    Salvia hispanica (chia)
    Salvia lyrata
    Salvia micrantha
    Salvia lancifolia
    Salvia riparia
    Salvia urticifolia
    Salvia verbenaca

The link below is Robin's salvia gallery for other ideas and seeing what the above look like.
    http://www.robinssalvias.com/gallery29.shtm

• shari1332
    17 years ago

I would not be without Indigo Spires and s.chamaedryoides. I've also had success with S.farinacea, microphylla 'Hot Lips', 'La Trinidad Pink', transylvanica, reptans, 'Christine Yeo' and forskaohlei(sp?). Mexican bush sage and S.elegans do wonderful but don't always overwinter.

• ccl38
    17 years ago

What are those potato looking things that form on the roots of salvia?

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

Those are tubers, foumd on guaranitica, meyeri, clinopodioides, and others. Thickened roots (rhizomes) are found on patens and other species. These are food storage organs that give plants breaking dormancy the ability to grow under adverse conditions, usually xeric (dry), to generate flower and seed producing organs. The latter will be needed once more advantageous weather (usually a transitory rainy, temperate season) breaks.

The soils the tubers and rhizomes grow in are usually hard to dig through, like caliche or in cracks between rocks, where they are not vulnerable to digging and burrowing herbivores. These starchy organs are exposed to predators in loose, humusy forest soils.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida