Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgrow_gardens

Easy to grow salvia's from seed?

bgrow_gardens
13 years ago

I purchased a "black & blue" salvia last year as a B-day present for myself. Because nobody knows what to get me for my Birthday anyways. I really do like this plant! I would like to know if there are any salvia's out there that are easy to grow from seed? The bumblebee's around here seem to like it too!

I understand that some slavia's won't come true from anything but a cutting. However there must be something out there that will grow from seed in my zone that are enjoyable? I mostly garden for veggie's. However, I also garden for the pollinators too.

I was recently told that bee's find May Night Salvia a delight. Can this be grown from seed or do you need cuttings? Or is there a similar variety as attractive to bee's? I'm not so concerned with flower color versus attractiveness to bee's and butterfly's.

I am looking for a bee magnet that I might like as well. Simply said what do bee's like best??!!

It does not necessarily have to be a salvia... I just like the flowers. If that makes sense ~ I would like to grow from seed because I have a lot of patience, and time, and effort to grow more than $$. Simply said although I love them I cannot afford pricey plants - Yes I did discover borage, and had one successful plant of that. I did save seed from this borage plant. I intend to plant them as well. I am growing a whole lot more of borage this year as well!

I attempted a search on this forum however, I guess my wording is not right? I did look for a FAQ too.. But there does not appear to be one - so here I am pestering you with questions... hope you don't mind? I really want more vegetables this year and I am seriously lacking in pollinator's to enable this endeavor... I mean come on you grow 3 zucchini plants and only get 2 zuke's for the whole season. Then after 2 years of this same prolific performance of the plant in your yard that apparently does not add anything to it's previous endeavours that it's supposed to be notorious for having it out the oblivion in production.. i.e.you are still at the same production of just a mere 2-3 zucchini's.you decide to plant a borage (as in singular cause that's all you've got to go with, and boom have a whole lot more,so you know it has something to do with attracting the pollinator's into you yard!) Simply said I have time, patience, and no real funds to grow a whole lot of stuff. However

Comments (2)

Sponsored