Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Canariensis / Canary Island Sage Question

Posted by DivaHerHighness z9 SoCal (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 05 at 4:09

Does anyone have experience growing canary island sage? I bought a tiny one last fall with a gorgeous flower. I misread the label, it doesn't grow to 6 inches it grows to 6 feet...D'OH! :>) So I'm wondering if it is very long blooming and how floppy/self supporting it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Canariensis / Canary Island Sage Question

http://www.californiagardens.com/Plant_Pages/Salvia/salvia_canariensis.htm

o

It forms a woody shrub. When it blooms for me it is in flower all summer until frost, mid to late October. It grows to 4' to 5' tall for me and about as wide. I don't recall it being very floppy

It is a stunning plant in the garden. Everyone wants to 'pet' it.

SG

o

Ha! Thx Salvia Guy and Chilidawg. That's funny about everyone wanting to 'pet' the wooly coating on the branches and under the leaves. The California Gardens site looks like a great resource.

Glad to hear it's not floppy and it's long blooming. Those blooms are gorgeous but I wasn't sure if it was worth it if they were only going to make a brief appearance.

I have just the spot for it, a dry hot sunny spot by the side of the house where it can grow to its hearts content. I'm looking forward to a repeat of those gorgeous blooms.

DHH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here