Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdiver_gw

anyone grow salvia desoleana?

dirtdiver
16 years ago

Got a few seeds through the NARGS exchange, and they're sprouting nicely. I Googled it enough to find a photo of the flowers, what part of the world it's from, roughly how big it can get and a suggestion that it should be somewhat hardy. But does anyone here actually grow it? Especially people in cooler zones like me? If so, I'd love to know if it's making it through snowy winters and about how big it gets in such climates. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

It depends on more than the USDA zone. Are you in a subtropical or xeric area, or are you on the Great Plains?

It is very similar to clarey sage, but a bit more tender.

• dirtdiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Rich, for replying. I'm very close to Lake Michigan, and the soil has a fair amount of sand in it (in fact, it's pretty much all sand once you get about two feet down). Not a lick of clay. So I'd say I'm a little xeric, except in winter, and the soil is well-draining. Salvia argentea loves my yard and has so far been perennial for several years. I think my salvia greggi 'Wild Thing' might be alive too (I did attempt to protect the crown during winter), though it's too early to tell for sure. I would imagine Clary sage would grow fine here, though I've never tried it.

The water proximity also keeps me a little warmer than most of Chicago in the winter. Still, I have snow in the winter and some invariably sopping thaws in the spring. Sounds like the desoleana might do ok. I'll certainly be giving it a go.

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Sounds good. I believe that desoleana is endemic to either Corsica or Sardinia, in the mountains. Is Corsican mint (Mentha requinii) hardy for you?

• dirtdiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm. I've never grown Corsican mint, but from looking it up in a few spots, I suspect it might do okay, though probably not spectacularly. I can grow salvia koyame. Does that count? This has been a very snowy winter, so it will be a good test for all the things that have been doing well for me that are listed as needing good drainage.

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Salvia koyamae is hardy in Boston, MA (zone 6, I think)

• dirtdiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll vouch for salvia koyame in Chicago, too, at least the lake-hugging parts of it. Along the shore we claim we're zone 6--farther afield, it's zone 5, usually with heavier soil.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

Anyone have this Salvia in a hotter climate -- like mine? I would like to plant my 1 plant on the back hill with is mostly Disintergrated Granite (DG) with a thin top layer of soil. I got the plant from a botanical garden in southern CA so it should be acclimatized. In that location I'm already successfully growing Salvias clevelandii, apiana, jamensis, 'Bee's Bliss', microphylla, and, of course, greggii.
    There are also Broom, Roses, Lavander, and Rosemary. Your opinion of this site for this plant will be greatly appreciated.

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

I have desoleana...3rd year in the ground, full sun, mostly DG soil, in what is probably the hottest and coldest corner of our property. We will get maybe a few 100 degree days and very little, if any, frost. It's planted in a very mixed bed of s.aureas, Anthony Parkers, s.involucrata x Kathy, leonotis leonurus, microphylla var. neurepia, and s.greggiis. Not a thrilling salvia, but if you're a collector and you see a salvia you don't have,you naturally take it home with you...lol..

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

I have this salvia; it is doing OK in my amended clay. I'm sure it would be happier in rocky soil, as that is what it's like in Sardinia, where I believe it's from [Italian island, hot!].

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up. It sounds as if this plant might do well on the back hill.

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Desoleana should be similar in culture to S. sclarea (clarey sage)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner