Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia corrugata

Posted by wardda NJ - 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 8:06

Does anyone have any comments on this one? According to Betsy Clebsch it should do OK in my climate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia corrugata

I've found it to be mostly a foliage plant. It can be a nice billowing ground cover that blooms late. When it does bloom, it has many small dense spikes of 1 inch blue tubular flowers in an unusual color-configuration for new world sages. I have not tried overwintering it outside, and if hardy, might be a better bloomer.

I know it comes from Ecuador, but am unaware if it is from a high enough elevation to make it hardy. High Andean plants are pretty tricky. Seasonal changes there aren't at all similar to what most of us mid-latitude folks.

o

Ok, I'm trying to think outside of the box a little here on tender sages to be wintered over as cuttings. So many of the ones I'd like to try seem to be short-daylight types.

o

In the UK, Salvia corrugata is not hardy, except in a very mild winter. It usually flowers brilliantly from September onwards. Easily-rooted cuttings can be over-wintered under glass.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 10:43

I loved mine, before it died in our unusual, week-long freeze we had in Jan. 2007. It didn't flower much the first year I had it, but it finally settled in the 2nd year. It grew like crazy and put out a lot of beautiful, fuzzy blue blooms that year. Then, I lost it.

If I can ever find it locally again, I will definitely give it a try.

Brenda

o

any chance someone could offer a cutting? I have lots of other Salvia that I could offer in exchange. The foliage of S. corrugata is wonderful and unfortunately mine dropped dead last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here