Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New French Salvia Book

Posted by robinmi UK (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 9:33

"La Connaissance des Sauges" by Christian Froissart is now published. It is the most comprehensive book on Salvias to date, and is essential for all Salvia lovers...and the French is easy to understand.

It can be ordered online from the publisher at

www.edisud.com/edisud/editions_edisud/livre.aspx?id=1299

or from Amazon.fr

Also signed copies are available from the author who can be contacted at bosejour@club-internet.fr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New French Salvia Book

What does "and the French is easy to understand" mean? Ha!

o

Many thanks for the information Robin. I have just ordered a copy.

o

You won't regret it, I promise! This book is superb, in spite of a few surprising omissions and a few spelling errors. It is more comprehensive than any recent publication, and the photos are beautiful.

Botanical terms are fairly universal...an English/French dictionary will be immensely helpful.

Sure you will enjoy it....Robin.

o

Have just received my copy - superb. Beautiful photos and with 213 species covered, not counting hybrids, it has more entries than any other book. But it is not an alternative to Clebsch, Sutton or Yeo, it compliments them.

Its title could be translated as the 'Identification of Salvias', because thats exactly what it does. It covers source, description, culture and propagation etc, but it also has a key, which will allow you to identify any unknown Salvia to one of 14 subgenuses. And another key which will allow you to fully identify any Salvia, as long it is in the book. This is done by asking simple questions such as are the stamen longer or shorter than the corolla. According to the answer there are other questions which will ultimately lead to to the individual species.

Its just what was needed and I think its going to be very useful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here