Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are some salvias more tolerant of soggy winters?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 08 at 10:23

I have no trouble finding dry soil in the summertime but our winters can be a little snowy/rainy. It's different every year of course but we rarely have a long-lasting snow cover because the really cold temps don't stay around for more than a couple days usually.

I'm in zone six but our summers are hot and dry so I love growing salvias. I'm still unsure whether cold or moisture is my biggest enemy in the winter. Maybe it's a combination of both.

I'm mostly interested in salvias that Ruby Throat hummingbirds find attractive. I've been growing salvia guaranitica for several years so I want to try Van Remsen. Any other suggestions? I don't mind the risk if it's iffy in my zone. That's part of the fun. : )

Salvia Darcyi has been doing well for me so far and I've had mixed luck with greggi cultivars. I'll know in just a few weeks who survived this winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are some salvias more tolerant of soggy winters?

Can you build raised beds with either sandy loam or sand? These work pretty well in North Carolina with our red clay soils. The beds should be around 10 to 16 inches high. French drains (small ditches filled with very coarse gravel) are also good for carrying excess moisture away.

Van Remsen does not form many tubers and has no stolons (runners). I'd mulch this one in zone 6 with around 6 inches of hardwood bark mulch for the coldest parts of winter.

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 8, 08 at 16:36

Salvia elegans is my most popular plant with our ruby-throated hummingbirds, but I'm not sure how it will do in the cold, as it is a Fall bloomer. I've had many, many drainage problems with other sages, but it's never been an issue with the S. elegans. The same could be said for my S. leucantha, which the hummers like too.

o

Rich - I wanted to build a raised bed but couldn't decide where, then lost a silver maple in our ice storm last year so now my backyard is much sunnier and I've been studying that spot for a hummingbird garden. The salvias I have so far are interspersed along the outside edges of a mixed shrub row I planted a few years ago. I didn't do much amending when I planted them. If I have some luck growing salvias from seed this year and if last years plants return, I might have enough to start that new bed. I had divided my salvia guaranitica a few times and was planning on having lots of that to use but only had one little clump left after our horrible winter and late hard freeze in the spring last year. : (

I try to use plants that naturally do well in our poor soil rather than amend for picky plants. For the most part, salvias do GREAT here without a lot of care. That's one of the reasons why I like them. The ones I grow that are hardier like May Night are tough as nails in my unamended soil but I can't resist the ones that say zone 7 on the description. : )

Dicot - I should give salvia elegans another try. I only grew it once and while it was impressive how huge it got over the summer, I nearly went insane waiting for it to bloom. My hummingbirds were packing their bags when the flowers finally started opening. It sure was pretty though.

o

dicot: You have Anna's Hummingbirds, not Ruby-throated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here