Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbwright_gw

Dividing Mexican Bush Salvia.

hbwright
17 years ago

My Mexican Bush Salvia grew huge last year and I was very impressed by the strength of the stems, with very few broken by my husbands not paying attention while mowing. I think it could easily be divided into 3-4 plants. Should I dig the whole thing up and divide it into quarters or just dig up portions straight from the ground? Should they go straight into the ground after dividing or should I put them into pots first and let more root grow before transplanting? I'm already getting new growth (actually have been off and on all winter) this year and I know once the spring comes to stay it will burst up like a bolt of lightening from the ground and want to get it done ASAP.

Comment (1)

• jardineratx
    17 years ago

I've divided my mexican bush sage several times in the 8 years I have had it planted. I have been successful in both methods: (1)using a sharp shooter to remove a portion of the mother plant and (2) digging up the entire plant and dividing it out of ground. I always plant directly in my garden. Except for weather conditions I see no need to pot up temporarily. Good luck
    molly

Sponsored