Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfreak_gw

Check this out Salvia growers getting crazier by the day

gardenfreak
16 years ago

Just found this article about Salvia on the news.

Not sure if anyone is interested reading it.

If so here is the link:

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/national/2008/03/11/Hallucinogenic.Plant/

What is happening to the "normal" way of having fun gardening???????

Comments (9)

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Actually, this brouhaha is a combination of the appeal of the forbidden fruit appeal by teeny-boppers wanting to experiment and scare their parents to declare independence in a stupid way, politicians looking for political power by exaggerating the dangers of a potent drug, and a press that is looking for headlines to grab attention.

Yes, I said "exaggerating the dangers of a potent drug". This is not oxymoronic because most users want it for getting part hearty. It does not work that way. Taking it is no fun, and the results are not pleasant for anyone who has repressed emotions, which includes most persons. So most stop using it after one or two experiments.

Masticating a cud of the bitter leaves or smoking an aerosol are the only ways to get the experience. The article cited claimed that taking a tea was effective. Not so. Salvinorin A is deactivated by stomach acid. It has to be taken in through contact with mucosa, or the membranes of the nose or cheek.

The problems come from those who are self-medicating and keep trying in foolish ways, mostly by inadvertently taking a huge overdose. This is why the concentrates are the most dangerous forms, and is the case with the most publicized and quite rare incidents.

Persons who want to experiment with it as an entheogen are generally semi-professional in their approach. They represent a very small portion of our population. If divinorum doesn't work, they will try something else.

In my opinion, if they want to reach their soul or talk to god, they should go on a retreat, go on a fast, take up meditation, or if they are really dedicated, join a monastery. These approaches are all much less self-destructive.

Arguments from ignorance are not going to deal with this problem in a useful way. Refraining from dramatizing it will help a lot. All parties would benefit for more respect for the ordinary. I'd advise all these parties to take up gardening to ease their nerves. Monasteries have gardens, don't they?

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

A large glass of Scotch on the Rocks works for me....when I can admire my beautiful non-hallucigenic Salvias!!!

Did have masses of flower-buds this winter, for the first time on my divinorum plant.....Christine Yeo told me that these would probably abort....which they did! I will give her a good smack at our next meeting!

Regards to all.....Robin.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

WHen we first moved to this property and I was designing the gardens I tried googling "Salvia". All I got were websites to buy S. divinorum and one other that was suppose to also be hallucigenic. Not what I was looking for. I found I needed to be very specific about asking for "gardens+Salvia+CA" to get what I was looking for. I didn't even know Salvias could be hallucigenic. LOL

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

You can also Google for Salvias and get a different result.

It won't take much longer for S. divinorum to get banned, I'm afraid. That will make it harder to do research on it and for native Americans and shamans to use it in their religious ceremonies. As I have said before, I am very interested in seeing it in full bloom and taking a bunch of good pictures of it.

It shares with S. recurva the tendency to form nicely pigmented floral parts. The color is an electric pure blue with some violet. The color has an exquisite quality that the pure blue of S. patens can't match. I really do compare it to the blue color I saw as a child on statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In full bloom, it is as showy as S. leucantha. That alone is all the reason I need for me to grow it.

• badhbh
    16 years ago

It's too bad really. I want S. Divinorum to round out a salvia garden i'm planning, and i'm having a hard time finding it. :(

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

There are quite a few nurseries carrying it, but they want $15.00 for it, primarily to keep it away from teen experimenters.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

For some reason I thought S. divinorum had an insignificant bloom and so wasn't even interested in growing it.

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Its bloom is not insignificant. Just hard to culture it to a good bloom. It is a real short day bloomer and must be protected from frost.

• bordertork
    16 years ago

i think rich hit the nail on the head. but its a good smoke, very pleasant experience, and like its been said before (by actual users) it isnt the next "pot". and whats with always bashing smokers, or people who enjoy the benefits of tasting theyre own "crop"? not all of us are slackers, irresponsible or little thrill seeking fiends. what troubles me is, yess, the media, and the politicians targeting herbs, when there are way many more drugs getting approved by the FDA. just this minute a Lunesta sleeping pill commercial came out. "call your doctor if you experience walking, driving or any other activities while you are asleep" ???? so smoking an herb, and feeling relaxed is worse than sleep driving? i saw another one that said "side effects might include uncontrollable gambling or sexual activities". " contact your physician if you experience an erection for more than 8 hrs" ? WTF? so youve fixed my sleeping or allergy problem, but your saying i might become a sex addict, who gambles uncontrollably and is sleeping while im driving? plain and simple, some people are just irresponsible, and ABUSE good things, and huge pharmacuetical companies will always get the upper hand and the government will permit those drugs, while banning other natural ones.