Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with salvia divinorum

Posted by trying4agreenthumb (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 11:42

I recently purchased, by mail order, 3 Salvia Divinorum plants. Unfortunately 1 plant has already died of unknown causes. My other 2 are worrying me. I planted them in pots after receiving them and I have them under clear bags to serve as a humidity tent. I mist them with water once or twice a day and they are under flourescent lighting. I don't see any bugs on them with or without a magnifying glass. Some of the leaves are getting spots that certain ways the light reflects off of them the spots have a silver look to them. I thought I'd be able to grow these as I have no problems with other plants(flowers/veggies). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do to save these? I'd like to be able to remove them from the "tent" so that they would look better sitting on my counter. Any input would greatly be appreciated !! Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with salvia divinorum

Your spots may be leaf miners, which leave silvery semitransparent membranes.

When you say they are under fluorescent lights, are the leaf tops a few inches away from the bulbs or are they 4-5 feet away? Like most Salvias, your babies need to be close, but not touching their light source. Extra humidity in low light will rot out the plants.

o

What are leaf miners?

As for the lights...the leaf tops are about 1 foot away from the lights. I can't get them any closer to the light due to the clear bags I have over them. If they were closer to the light, could I remove the bags? I will try any and all suggestions!!

o

UPDATE::: I got my magnifying glass out again and did another look at my plants. I noticed on the underneath side of the leaves that there is a teeny tiny grey/white bug that resembles a caterpiller(it moves pretty fast). What is this and how do I get rid of it before it destroys my plants???

o

This might be a mealybug, which is a sucking insect. The males resemble small mosquitoes. Swabbing with Safer soap on a Q Tip might work, if the infection is small.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here