Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia apiana

Posted by wardda (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 11:48

Is Salvia apiana growable in the east if grown in xeric conditions. A garden helper wants to grow it and sell it bundled for incense. That is fine with if it is fine with the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia apiana

Wardda:
Some of the California Salvias make it here apiana is one
of them. Maybe Rich has grown that so he can answer the question being closer to you.I know we can grow them over the winter here(in containers) but our summer is to hot
and it fries the plants in pots. They may be able to make a coarse sand bed so the crown is dry. If they do try to
experiment with that keep us posted. I have learned alot
just from trial and error.
Art

o

I've never had any luck with the California sages in North Carolina. They don't like the hot, humid summer nights and their roots rot out in protracted summer rains and winter wet. They need raised sand beds to even grow well during nice summers, and congested foliage, especially around the base, results in mildew and fungus attacks.

o

I suspected that was the case. There is an area in the park where recent dredge sand is about 4 feet deep, nothing much will grow there. To call it well drained would be an understatement. Perhaps she could try it there? Pachyphylla has managed to stay with us for 3 years now in the park, so maybe there is slight hope. I don't want to discourage such a willing helper, good ones with hoop houses aren't easy to find. Is seed germination problematic?

o

I don't know, but the 100 ppm treatment with GB-3 for 30 minutes with shaking was developed for Salvia sonomensis, and it works for Phlomis and the other California sages I tried.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here