Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matias_busch

salvias in argentina

matias_busch
17 years ago

Hello again

I´m here again after hollidays, and a lot of work.

thanks Joseph (gerri2) to your comment for my salvia garden in the concolor? message. It is always my earth conexion (is that ok?)

In hollidays I´ve found in the hills of Cordoba, Argentina two salvias (I hope), I´m waiting flowers to confirm and make photos of them.

Walking near my work I´ve found something wonderful like s. florida (robin m.), I make some cuttings and also waiting.

I put in the link some images of my garden. I hope you like.

thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: salvias in

Comments (38)

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

I like them very much. Did you start them all by seed, or get plants from local nurseries? One of them (s-3, I think) looks a lot like the Salvia guaranitica from Costa Rica I've grown.

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks Richard.

All of them are kids of some from local nurseries. I´ve made all by cutting except s. coccinea which were easy by seed.

I´ve not many experience in seeding, and I trying too learn with some seeds who came from de USA :-)

The first attempt was a disaster, I supose for much hot in summer. I´m trying this autumn again.

• annette68_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Matias,

Your photos are stunning and if you ever collect seeds off any send them this way, I am a salvia addict in Australia.

Our climates are fairly similar since I live in the tropics and it is frost free, starting salvias from seeds is easy for us and you should be able to do it year round like me.

The most important thing to remember is that salvias need light to germinate and you have to surface sow the seeds, I have mine outside in tubepots where they receive morning sun and afternoon shade.

If you want some seeds to practise with send me an email and I will send you some.

Some Salvia Pics from my garden;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Pics from my Garden

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

I'm intrigued by Salvia `Violet Eyes' - is this a garden or hand cross of Salvia guaranitica x concolor, and where did it come from?

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks annette

I will take your advice with seeds. My garden isn´t frost free, cause I´m 70 km far from city (Buenos Aires is frost free). In winter we have near -3ºC some days, so I put my favorite salvias and almost one of each in a "space under nylon, to preserve them" (my english is very, very "limited".

your photos are beatiful, thanks for the link.

I´m trying to be a expert in seeding, but that will take some time. Then I will collect and send you some, I promise. (and hope to have some of yours)

• annette68_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Matias,

I only learned how to really sow seeds last year and now I am really good at it. Practise with some coccinea seeds and go from there, I would be honoured if you could collect some seeds for me, you are in the country when a lot off them are native, lucky you.I love the salvia that you have that may be Salvia Florida (my favorite coloured salvia)

Richard about 'Violet Eyes' the cultivar was introduced by Meg Bentley and I cant bring the cultivar page up, so I cant add any additional info at present

• robinmi_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Matias,

We have been in contact before. I know of two other Salvia collectors in Argentina, they are:
    J.Alberto Costillo email ezeizabotgarden@hotmail.com
    and
    Rolando Uria email ruria@speedy.com.ar

You might find them useful as contacts. Rolando is currently on vacation.

Your pictures are beautiful, thanks for sharing them.

Bset wishes, Robin.

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Annette, thanks and we will be in contact for seeds.

Robin, thanks a lot for the contacts, i will try to exchange experiencies with them.

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Robin

please, can you chek Costillo´s email adress?

I send him an email and have adress error.

thanks again.

• robinmi_gw
    17 years ago

Matias,

Sorry, it should be ezeizabotgard@hotmail.com

Robin.

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Robin, that works :-)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

Hi Matias,

Your photos are excellent and show very happy Salvias! Seeing them made me ache for spring to arrive, which officially I think happens today, but it does not seem like spring since we have 6 inches of snow on the ground. This snow will all be gone by Friday I predict.

If ever you wanted to trade seeds, Matias, I would be more than happy to do so with you. Just send an email to me at callaloo1@yahoo.com or through the Gardenweb web page I have. I can tell you how I start out my seeds for what its worth but have refined the technique for seed propagation on a small scale.

Have a nice day!

Joseph

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Joseph, I send you an email.

Thank to all of you for encourage me to practise seeding.

I hope to be an expert some day :-)

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

In the link I put more photos of my salvias,
    I hope you like it.

There are also some photos of salvia´s cousins "plectranthus" that I love too.

Here is a link that might be useful: more salvias

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

Nice images, lovely colors. I think the one you have labeled involucrata (winter) is a true involucrata. Because of the elongated involucre (the structure at the tip) of bracts, this is probably Hadspen. The other, pinker less fuchsia one looks like wagneriana pink form or perhaps a hybrid because of the more prominent lower lips, not deflexed backwards.

Salvia guaranitica x gesneriiflora `Purple Majesty' is probably the one you have as majestic purple.

Some of these are probably new varieties to the rest of us.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful Salvias with us, Matias! I very much enjoy looking at them...and salivating! :)

Brenda

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks brenda, thanks richard.

involucrata hadspen? flowers appears here in Argentina in may - june (south hemisfere) near winter. Is such a big plant, near 3 mts tall and not compact.

Purple Majesty is the correct way!! I´ve to change images titles.

thanks again.

• sarahbn
    16 years ago

Do you know salvia meyeri? I bought it in 2005 from plants delight and it's from Argentina. Here are pictures of it in 2005 I am excited because it reseeded and returned this summer yay! and hummingbirds use it!

• annette68_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Sarah,

That is a pretty salvia but it doesnt look like the salvia meyeri that I have, my meyerii has huge pale blue flowers, that one looks like the 1 I have that is urica 'blue ribbon', it might be the color is out in the photo.Just my 2 cents worth.

annette

• sarahbn
    16 years ago

Well here is salvia urica I bought one in 2004 2005 and I think in 2006 It has a different smell too.

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sarah, believe it or not, it´s very difficult to find s. meyeri here in Argentina.

Thanks to your great photos.

You encorauge me to keep looking for.

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Matias,

You could try Rolando in Buenos Aires, I think he grows S. meyeri.

Robin.

• sarahbn
    16 years ago

Matias Here is a link to some information about the plant from the place where I bought it in 2005 They went on an expedition to Argentina in search of plants

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants Delight in Argentina

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Robin mentions Professor Rolando Uria from the University of Buenos Aires as the source of the images of new Argentine sages on his page 33. On Tony Avent's trip notes, he mentio0ns a lot of fellow participants, including Drs. Alfredo and Ricardo Grau of the University of Tucuman and Florencia Borgonovo. Do you have a means to contact them?

As to `Argentina Skies', the selection of seed collected by Juan Patricio OÂFarrell was selected for lightness of color in Pennsylvania by Charles Cresson. Your best bet for collecting new seed is in river basin, Paraua;

Patrick OÂfarrell
    Avda da Mayo 645
    (1084) Buenos Aires

• sarahbn
    16 years ago

How interesting! So salvia guaranitica "Argentine skies" has a Pennsylvania conection that's pretty neat it's a big hit with the hummingbirds in my Pennsylvania yard.

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks richard, robin, sarah

prof. Rolando Uria isn´t sure for the plant that appear in Robin´s web to be a meyeri

He´s waiting this spring to compare flowers with the bibliography.

He think that perhaps is s. ripara.

But, I hope to know that in some days.

In some case, ripara, meyeri, or other is beautiful

bye.

• roland_gardener
    16 years ago

Dear Matias:

Thank you for encouraging me to participate in this interesting forum.

As far as I know there has been much confusion about Argentinean salvias identity. meyeri, rypara, stachydifolia, calolophos, personata and many more are in fact closely related. I have consulted Flora of Jujuy and Flora of San Juan (INTA Flora Collection) where you can find botanical keys to these species. I collected at least three different forms of rypara in Salta last autumn. Some of them have just started to flower. I think that I will be able to identify them during the following weeks. I promise to post pics of them.

Apparently there are different forms of these species growing in Northwest Argentina and Bolivia with slightly different colour and flower shape (possibly hybrids?)

Thanks to every salvia forum people!!!

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome Rolando!

finally we are two argentinian here

we´re waiting your opinion in s.meyeri vs others

• sarahbn
    16 years ago

Welcome Rolando! So glad you joined the salvia forum!

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

I would like to add my welcome also, Rolando!

Robin.

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

I recently had a visit from Christian Froissart, who is convinced that what we have as S. meyeri in England is actually Salvia rhinosina. Rhinosina has been mentioned as a synonym of S. stachydifolia, but this seems to be wrong, as Stachydifolia is quite different.

Robin.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

I love your flowers. IM especially taken by the Sal. guaranitic purple. Ive never seen that before, must be hybrid. Thanks for sharing. Do you have hummingbirds in Argentina?

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi steve, with your nickname I can guess you love hummingbirds :), yes, we have a lot here in buenos aires

here is a link to hummingbirds images

http://www.fotosaves.com.ar/Trochiliformes/FotosTrochiliformes.html

thanks for your comments for my photos, we´re making the first web of salvias in argentina with them.

www.jardindesalvias.com.ar

bye

Here is a link that might be useful: jardindesalvias

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Matias Busch--- Thanks for replying back and yes every plant in my yard relates to something hummers will use. You have some exotic looking hummers in south america and I would like to know more about them. Do they go north or do they stay there in your country. I know that many go north to breed and go back south when the seasons change and gets colder. The only hummer I see in my region is the rubythroat. Im going to do some research for some info on S. American hummers. Thanks again and good luck on your web site.

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks Steve

Those I know fly when winter comes from Buenos Aires, to Formosa, also in Argentina.

• sarahbn
    16 years ago

Thank you for that wonderful website Matias! I bookmarked it.I would love to see that "Carpintero Gigante" one day. But it took me fifty four years to see the "pileated woodpecker" that is from Pennsylvania. So seeing a photo is pretty neat! Thanks again.

• dicot
    16 years ago

Hey Matias, have you tried germinating those salvia seeds I sent you? I spoke with the woman who runs the nature center nearby and germinates a large # of CA native sages. She said they found for the S. apiana, mellifera and clevelandii that it worked best to pour boiling water on the seeds and plant them at a depth of 4-5 times the diameter of the seed (this surprised me) in a well-drained soil or soilless w/fertilizer mix.

I will try this too, because surface sowing of these species' seeds has not worked for me.

• matias_busch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Marc

I sowed them two week ago, so I´m waiting and looking every morning.

I sow surface like other salvias, I hope it works...

best regards.