Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

4' tall, afternoon sun only, long blooming?

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi all,

Can you steer me in the right direction of a somewhat taller salvia (4-5' tall and only 3-4' wide) that will have a long blooming time and will tolerate only afternoon sun. It is on the western side of my house and is in the shade until about 1 pm in the summer, which I interpreted as being "part sun." Then again, I'm in the East Bay, so maybe that counts as "full sun"?

Years ago, this spot had a scraggly s leucantha that I inherited with the other landscaping, but I would like something with darker green foliage. I also remember it didn't bloom for very long.

I got the Klebsch book and was drawn to Salvia Barrelieri, but she says it only blooms for a month and then you cut it down to 2' tall the rest of the year. (Though Annie's Annuals says it blooms all summer... maybe it does in the bay area?.)

I like the look of Indigo Spires, but it is supposed to really spread out and get bushy, and I need this more vertical & upright to keep it contained between a porch railing and a wall.

The Mystic Spires dwarf, even though it is a dwarf, some things I've read online say it gets to 4' tall. Can someone confirm this?

Another thought, since I like their look and their all-over color, are s greggii and s microphylla... are there specific varieties of these that are taller than others?

Thanks,

Kmama

Comments (4)