New Baby

CA Kate z9
19 years ago

Look what I found in the back hill garden:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kodak Photo Website

Comments (15)

• rosewomann
    19 years ago

That is really pretty! I can't tell- is it graduated pink- getting darker as it goes up or is the tip white- it reminds me of 'Sierra San Antonio'- except no yellow. Enjoy! Maybe you can develop it? 'Westelle's Pink" or ' Fresno Pink', I like them both. ;-)

Rose

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It is a medium mauve/lilac/pink at the top and gradually becomes almost, but not quite, white at the edge of the lip.

You know, I forgot that there is a "Sierra San Antonio" back there too that could be part of the parentage, which would explain the graduation of color. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will need to adjust the partentage..... maybe the white greggii and the "Sierra San Antonio".

• kal2002
    17 years ago

'Sierra San Antonio' is really pretty. Are there more varieties with multi-colors like this one?

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

Yep. I have S. greggii `Senorita Leah', from the now closed Blue Hills Nursery in Montague, MA, which is a pink/light orange bicolor, then there is S. g. `Theresa', and Robin Middleton has one also.

S. g. `San Isidro Moon' has a different color pattern. The peach and yellow pigments follow a different color pattern, with the dwnsest coloration forming a rime at the edges of the lower lips.

S. microphylla `Hot Lips' - NOT a greggii at all - is outrageous with its sharp, variable red/white border from flower to flower.

If you look closely at lots of other greggii and microphylla forms, there are differences in hue as well as intensity between the upper hood and the lower lip, such as in S. g. `Diane'. By the way, greggiis with purple in their flowers probably have lycioides or chamaedryoides genes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia greggii Robin Middleton

• youreit
    17 years ago

I love 'Theresa'! I think it was a post last year by Westelle that had me eager to find this little darling. :)

It's in full bloom right now.

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What a great pic of "Teresa"!!! Mine are doing really well this year too.

• jenn
    17 years ago

Beautiful!!!!

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

I wonder if this one will come true from seeds? I saw someone marketing it on ebay but did not bid because it is a hybrid. Any thoughts?

Joseph

• robinmi_gw
    17 years ago

Always a reasonable chance that it will come true, if it has not been grown near to other greggiis or microphyllas. Worth trying...you might even get something superior. Even when grown close to others, you never know what might result. Sometimes great flowers on inferior plants, or vice versa. Just depends on whether you have the space, and time, to test these hybrids. It is great fun, nevertheless!

Robin.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This plant was a sport in a Texas nursery just a few years ago. As far as I know all that are in existence are rooted off that original plant or it's original offspring. Seeding is real iffy if you want the real thing.

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

It should be noted that the breeder of Theresa has a plant patent in the works. Check out the US Patent Office web site below. Unauthorized propagation is not allowed.

Plants from seed should not be called S. g. Theresa, either. That's how a lot of confusion gets started, because second-generation hybrids are quite variable. This is a big problem for Salvia greggii and microphylla forms and Agastache hybrids as well.

Other S. g. forms under existing Plant Patent protection include Desert Blaze (variegated form) and some of the Navajo series, to which I am the patent holder.

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. Pregrant Abstract 20050278815 for Salvia Greggii Teresa

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Very good point, Rich. It's something we should think about before we root and pass along plants for others..... someone has spent a lot of time, energy and money propagating a plant just to get it to market.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I know this is an old post but Since we are talking about reproducing our own plants etc.

First I want to tell Joseph that none of my seeds came true. I have either white or magenta pink colored flowers none are bicolored or striped as the original.

Secondly, I have a question for Rich regarding the propagation of plants that have patents applied for.

SInce as you know I am in the cold northeast, very few of my salvias survive the winters here and once a hard frost hits them, that is usually the end of them. I always try to get a couple of cuttings rooted early or if a stem breaks off I root it and overwinter them inside for the winter as it is getting too cumbersome to bring in huge pots of salvias for the winter. Is it allowable to take cuttings of our own plants for our own use or am I infringing on the rights of the breeder by doing this?

Penny

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

Propagating patented plants for your own use is definitely allowed. Problems arise when you give away plants to sales like charities or to relatives and friends that then put the plant into propagation under the original name.

This propagation and distribution is known as enabling, and a patent can be voided if it has escaped and is in the trade before the patent is granted. Supposedly, this is what happened to Plectranthus Mona Lisa, a smashing deep green and purple leafed hybrid of hilliardiae which still gathers royalties for Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden from other countries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plectranthus Mona Lisa

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Thank you Rich for setting us straight on this issue. I have never been too sure about it but have always kept certain plants that I wasn't sure about to myself and given people links on where to purchase their own. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking the law by growing my own additional plants from the cuttings.
    Penny

Sponsored