Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia questions

Posted by cindra z5b Ont (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 13:01

This is my first year growing Salvia. I have several different kind that have sprouted from seed. Some have their first true set of leaves. rich_dufresne recommended that I use Peters 8-45-14 Plant Starter but since the seedlings already have their first set of leaves I don't have time to wait for it to come through the mail so I bought some Plant Prod 10-52-10 Plant Starter Fertilizer to use on the seedlings-is that ok?

Also, I've noticed on the S. praeclara seedlings that some of the stems are red and some are green, is this normal?

Thank you,
Cindi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia questions

Plant Prod 10-52-10 Plant Starter Fertilizer should work. Just follow directions for strength and frequency of application.

The variable color of the stem probably won't mean much. Perhaps when it flowers, there will be a similar color spread in the calyxes or other plant parts. Hybrids are always possible, or the variation could simply be a reflection the richness of the gene pool.

o

Thank you so much for your reply. My seedlings now are working on their second set of true leaves. It is very exciting for me to see them progressing at the rate that they are. I am thinking of pinching them after they have four sets of true leaves. Does anyone pinch Salvia's?

o

I would not pinch them back until they get around 6-8 inches tall, are in individual pots, and are growing robustly with good roots in the pot reaching the perimeter. Pinching or taking cuttings too soon will seriously set the plants back and may cause the root system to rot. If the soil holds water for more than 4 days before watering, it is too small.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here