Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

California Native Sage Festival--March 22 at RSABG

Hi All,

I thought members of this forum would be interested in this event. It is being held at my local botanic garden, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, CA (91711) on March 22. RSABG is a California native plant garden and so you can see many of our natives growing in the plant communities one may also be lucky enough to see in the wild. The garden is comprised of 86 acres! Below is a listing of some of the salvia that RSABG grows.

I am a sage lover myself (and of course want to grow even more!). Some of my recent purchases from the garden's on site nursery include 4 S. dorii Gayle Nielson which has bloomed beautifully since November--a great salvia in local conditions. Another superb one in these parts is S. eremostachya. Smells wonderful and has sparkly leaves.

Here's a brief excerpt from the below link:

"March 22, 2014, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Claremont, California

Free Admission for all this day as part of our Spring Open House.

Experience the scents, sights, and flavors at this new Garden event celebrating California native Salvias.

Check out sage vendors, try a sample of some sage-inspired culinary delights, enjoy a free workshop, listen to music and get sage advice (of course!)

Check back often as we build this list of participants and activities.

20 Minute Workshops in the California Courtyard:

10:30 Sages for the Garden - Antonio Sanchez
11:30 Indigenous Californian uses of sage for medicine - Nicholas Hummingbird Hernandez
12:30 Sages for the Garden - Antonio Sanchez
1:30 Indigenous Californian uses of sage for medicine - Nicholas Hummingbird Hernandez"

The article mentions sage vendors, but I don't see any listed yet. I'm hoping 3 of my favorites, Flowers by the Sea, Las Pilitas, and Moosa Creek will come......

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: RSABG Native Sage Festival, March 22

Comments (9)

• kermitc
    10 years ago

Thank you for the information, Melissa. It looks from the program that the plant sales are going to be from the in-house nursery, Grow Native. If we were not 700 miles away attending would be on the calendar.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Claremont. That's off the 60, right? We might just be able to make it.

New convert to Salvias,

Suzi

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Suzi, the closest freeway is the 210 which runs thru northern Claremont, near the RSABG. The 10 runs thru south Claremont and is also a convenient way to get to the botanic gardens.

Kermit, GNN Claremont does have its own propagator (Antonio Sanchez) but they also order and sell plants from other nurseries such as Suncrest (great for Rosa minutifolia, one of my favorite roses, and also for the blue curls cultivar Midnight Magic), El Nativo Growers, Native Sons, Moosa Creek, etc. Just this past week I was at the nursery and bought some bouteloua gracilis 'Blonde Ambition' and white California poppies grown by Native Sons as well as a ceanothus 'Diamond Heights' grown by El Nativo, Melica californica grown by Suncrest, seacliff buckwheat and sea dahlia grown by Moosa Creek plus monkey flowers, creeping wild rye, and another Saliva dorrii Gayle Nielson grown by RSABG. Ordered thru RSABG 5 one gallon size of Salvia 'Celestial Blue' (this one along with S. namaensis, S. melissodora, and S. Teresa are the most prolific bloomers in my garden). Moosa Creek has them in stock, so I expect that is where they will get them.

I sure wouldn't mind seeing even more goodies available, particularly in salvias.;) The one I want most that I don't already have is Salvia mohavensis.

Btw, I don't think RSABG toots its own horn enough--lots of scientists there, and horn-tooting doesn't appear to be in their genes!;) I'm just a happy member of the garden (certainly no scientist), love to grow native plants, and will gladly tell others about my experiences.

Melissa

10 years ago

Hubby says we can go, so it's on the calendar! Thanks for the heads up!

Suzi

• rich_dufresne
    10 years ago

I wish I could go and stock up on certain sages, but North Carolina is too far away, and I can grow only a few California natives well out here.

I do hope to try S. apiana Desperado, though. There are a lot of people asking me for white sage for smoke lodge ceremonies.

This post was edited by rich_dufresne on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 9:23

10 years ago

We should have got there earlier! OMG! We had to park a long way away! It was very crowded!!

I discovered one sage I wanted because a vendor blended it with Agave nectar, and poured it over limoncello ice from Sprouts. Delicious! We parked so far, I didn't want to carry so many plants, so I'm saving it for later. Our nursery in town probably has it.

We had a great time and learned a lot. We won two plants by spinning the wheel: Baby Blue Eyes, Nemophilia menziesii and Farewell-to-Spring, Clarkia unguiculata* They are not Salvias. Just pretty wildflowers.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Suzi

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some pictures from the Festival showing the booths, educational presentations, and some scenes of the garden during a walking tour conducted by RSABG conservation botanist Naomi Fraga.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: RSABG CA Native Sage Festival, 3/22/14

10 years ago

Nice photos! It was a nice overcast day. Perfect weather!
    Suzi

• sandnsage
    9 years ago

Oh BUMMMER! I can't believe I missed this! That is what I get for being way too busy!!!!! Thanks for the heads up, and I have to keep track of this for next year!

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm