Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Winter Sowing Results

hummersteve
17 years ago

Im certain that anyone else who has winter sowed would see results now as I have. I didnt sow that much, I did do korean mint, B&B, subrotunda and shades of orange of which I have sprouts of the last two, so it does work. Im sure the first two will show something soon. Anyone else?

Comments (8)

• ramazz
    17 years ago

Hey, Steve.

I did wintersow for the first time this year, but didn't put many of my salvia seeds out. Salvia austriaca is the only one I put outside without trying it inside first - and that was because wintersowing was recommended to me. I have 4 sprouts out of 10 seeds for that one. I have one little lyrata coming up (it didn't sprout inside) and the others I put outside haven't done anything. I guess those seeds were just duds since I tried them inside first.

Of the other seeds that I wintersowed, I would say at least 50% of the varieties have sprouted. But some of the seeds I wintersowed required at least one period of cold stratification and some said warm-cold-warm, so they may not sprout until next year. It is an interesting process, that is for sure!

Becky

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Im wondering about hardening off outside , should they be shaded first and then gradually be exposed to direct sun exposure.

• ramazz
    17 years ago

Steve:

My containers have had some sun and some shade from the beginning. I moved some of them after they sprouted based on whether they are more shade or sun plants. You are talking about wintersown seeds, right - they are put outside from the beginning in "mini-greenhouse" type containers. There is no hardening off involved with these because they have always been outside.

Becky

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Becky

No , actually Im referring to the indoors grown seedlings.

• ramazz
    17 years ago

I thought maybe that was it. I think you're getting more responses on the other post about seedlings. The plants that I am moving from inside are pretty big. I started out with them on a shaded porch and didn't have any problems, so some have moved to the deck (no shade). It is probably warmer here than it is there - it was 80 today but back to 60 tomorrow (as a high, that is). I am hoping we won't get any more freezes so I won't have to bring stuff in or cover it up. I took mine out on the weekend so I would be home to monitor their first couple of days out.

Becky

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Becky

I know that you started your seedlings before me so yours are bigger and I tried mine outside for an hour today and it was a little windy and was too much for them, so mine arent big enough or strong enough yet to be out. Yes It is very warm here it has been consistantly around 80 lately and 60ish at night. Too warm for this time of year so I am expecting a cool down soon.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Steve, Any seeds started inside will have to be hardened off gradually. If they were wintersown in covered containers outside right from the start and still outside they don't need to be hardened off. They acclimate to the surrounding temps and weather conditions naturally.

Penny

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Penny

It was a trial run for me yesteday , but it was a little windy, just wanted to see how they would act , were not ready to be out yet, they were only out for an hour.

Sponsored