Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is This White Sage?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 15:11

I went on a photo shoot on our property today, and am wondering if this is White Sage. It has yellow flowers when in bloom.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If not, do you know what it is? Thanks!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is This White Sage?

The foliage is right. Are the leaves in pairs?

The flowers should be white or off-white, not bright yellow.

Check this page for an image of the flowers

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia apiana flowers

o

Thanks! Now I fear it's a weed. Our property is half wilderness, so it's probably just a perennial weed.

I may try the name that plant forum.

Thank you!

Suzi

o

You're the guy in Hemet -- right? This looks to me like brittlebush, Encelia farinosa. It's a native. It should have yellow flowers now, but the drought has discouraged a lot of them from blooming.

o

Thanks for your response. It's a pretty plant. It's just growing where it shouldn't. Isn't that always the way?

Suzi

o

What's wrong with its location?

o

It is between a grove of pines, exactly where my new picnic table will go. It came up where it shouldn't have. It has brothers out on the west 40. But I'm going to displace it. It has to go.

o

In suitable habitat, they apparently grow easily and well. I haven't seen any in Anza, so I assume the winters are too cold here. There are some along Hwy 371 at around 2500 ft elevation near the junction with Hwy 79. That's about as high as I see them. These are the plants that cover desert foothills with yellow flowers in late winter/early spring. You can see the zone of flowering move up the slopes as the days pass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here