Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Now thats fast,,,,,IM a believer

hummersteve
17 years ago

I know many you serious growers have already prepared your flats. But this is my first flat, although I have had a few trial episodes. I was shocked to get up on the third morning of my planting and find so many plants had sprouted. So for anyone who is interested heres what I did: I had this bag of miracle grow potting soil [1cu ft] in the garage and I didnt do any special care for this bag in fact it wasnt even closed tight. Its ingredients are spahgnum peat, composted bark, perlite,a wetting agent and a fertilizer. I put a lot this in a big bowl and mixed with water, not saturated. I filled the 72cell flat loosely , added my seeds, then misted good with chamomile tea, covered it and on the third morning, WAALAA!Wow do the plants ever love this stuff, Im sold. Now if you are not familiar with the tea mix go to [Byrons tea recipe] on this forum. I like to use this for it helps prevent damp off. Another thing to do is have a small fan circulate air and this helps to keep the fungus spores from growing. Good luck all

Comments (7)

• ramazz
    17 years ago

What did you plant that sprouted so quickly? I've been using Miracle Gro, too, but haven't noticed any real miracles LOL. Some of my salvia seeds sprouted really quickly, but other varieties are slow pokes. Great to hear you are having success!

Becky

• peterls
    17 years ago

I have just sowed some seeds in a heated propagator at 72F. Salvia sclarea, S. coccinea and S. splendens germinated in two days, and the first S Darcyi has now appeared after 4 days.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Becky

Well of course all the coccinea go crazy , top of the list are scarlet sage, and lady in red, and a close third is coral nymph. Also in a hurry were shades of orange in one row every seed spouted and the second row of SOO a little slow but they are now coming. Also quick was sunset hyssop. In the stubborn class is apricot sprite, which need lightly covered , didnt know this at first. Also stubborn are salvia bonfire and foxglove strawberry. These last two were packed by plantation products and I dont have faith in those , but thought Id give em a try. Becky , when would I know to move the seedling from the cell packs to individual containers provided they continue to live , looking good so far, cross my fingers

• ramazz
    17 years ago

Steve:

I wouldn't wait too long to move them. The high humidity from the dome can cause problems once they have sprouted. What I do is have a separate cell pack that isn't covered and move my seedlings into that and put them under a light. That way I can keep the ones that haven't sprouted on the heat pad (if needed) and covered. When they get larger and need to be watered constantly, it is a sign that they need a larger pot. I need to get more small pots to move a bunch of mine up a level as they are getting too big for the cells. But I have left them in the cells for quite a while and just keep watering them frequently. If you are lucky, you can keep them in the cells up until spring planting. I planted mine too early to do that.

Becky

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Becky

I got a little nervous today decided to move all the sprouted seedlings so the rest that arent germed can be covered all the time. Thats quite a process in itself trying to be carefull as you can to not to disrupt them too much but its pretty much unavoidable . Time will tell hope I dont lost to many that I moved tonight.

• ramazz
    17 years ago

Steve:

I would have done the same, and I have only lost a couple of seedlings, which I don't think is too bad. It is only a crisis when you only have one sprout! I have one variety with only one sprout and one variety with two sprouts. So far, they are doing okay.

Becky

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Becky-- I know what you mean , the ones im concerned about about are apricot sprite there is only 2 sprouted but the Iopomopsis has no sprouts yet. So far all the ones I moved are ok. Im leaving a fan running for circullation I read somewhere that helps keeps fungus spores from growing.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!