Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nchomegarden

Yvonne's Salvia

nchomegarden
10 years ago

Any way to get some plants or seeds of Yvonne's Salvia?
I saw a post by Rich that he found some seed and was going to grow them this spring.
Thanks!

Comments (22)

• robinmi_gw
    9 years ago

Contact me via my website www.robinssalvias.com I have a few seeds, but don't delay as I will not be around after 6th April. My seeds are the real thing!

• nchomegarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's one of them blooming
    Thanks Robin!

• nchomegarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another

• duane456
    9 years ago

I had a Salvia sangria cross with Yvonne's salvia. It's now about four feet tall.

• wardda
    9 years ago

That is really cool. I have been wondering whether Yvonne's might cross with some of the more exotic splendens cultivars and wondering if the crosses might come true from seed. A purple selection of Yvonne's would be particularly welcome. Will you save seed?

• duane456
    9 years ago

I save many seeds throughout the year. Will do those for sure. Let me know if you want some.
    duane

• bareass
    8 years ago

duane, do you still have tall yvonne salvia seeds? I'm looking for a good hummer plant

• CA Kate z9
    8 years ago

I'd like some too, please!

• duane456
    8 years ago

I no longer have any of those seeds, but I will have some this fall. Contact me then, if you want some.

• wyldeflwr
    8 years ago

Did you grow Yvonne's salvia this year? Will you be saving seeds? I would truly appreciate it if you could make some arrangement with me to get some of these if you do. I had this plant way back many years ago and would like to grow it again. The last time someone sent me seeds, they must have been old as they never germinated. Thanks.

• duane456
    8 years ago

wyldeflwr---I did grow some this year. Remind again around Oct.-Nov.

Should have some then.

• wyldeflwr
    8 years ago

Thank you so much. Now all I have to do is remember how to get back here to ask. I will certainly try. I do appreciate it.

• cindip
    8 years ago

I had some old Yvonne's salvia seed and sowed some this year. They came up just fine but when I put them outside- something ate them. What type of bug is attracted to this plant?

• cindip
    8 years ago

That might have been what ate mine, not sure. I was so disappointed

• rusty_blackhaw
    8 years ago

I grew about 20 of this variety and placed them in a prominent location near the front of my subtropical bed, only to pull most of them several weeks ago and replace with another planting.

The plants were disappointingly short and gawky, and while flowering decently, tended to leaf yellowing near their bases and never filled out the way I was expecting. It's true that late spring/early summer here was marked by lots of clouds and rain before drying out and warming up later on. Still, I've grown other S. splendens varieties that were temporarily set back by cool, damp conditions but rebounded nicely when typical summer weather arrived.

• rich_dufresne
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The problem with tender perennials as pass-along plants is that propagation by seed results in different plants over generations, due to inevitable gene pool reductions and inadvertent hybridization. Also, germ plasm following different paths of distribution will also vary amongst themselves, establishing different lines and varieties. To assure the plant's integrity, it has to be vegetatively propagated.

• ladybanksrose
    8 years ago

I got some of Yvonne's salvia seeds about 10 years ago. I had marvelous luck, due to my sandy loam soil and tons of compost. They grew over 6 feet tall and were beautiful. Everyone who saw the plants were amazed. sadly, I moved away and was not able to capture any seeds before moving.

• Gayle
    8 years ago

Hi everybody. I'm new to this site. I grow this plant also but this year was a disappointment, Mine didn't get as tall & also were leggy. I pulled them out just last week.

• Mary Leek
    8 years ago

For the person who is looking for Yvonnes Salvia for the hummingbirds; if you aren't able to find seed for Yvonnes Salvia, you might try growing Salvia coccinea ‘Lady in Red’. I have grown Yvonnes Salvia and as I recall, the hummers in my garden preferred 'Lady in Red'. It is a much shorter salvia but produces lots of nectar that the flying critters love. Once it starts blooming, will bloom until frost, particularly if deadheaded.

Mary

• rusty_blackhaw
    8 years ago

By the way, my less-than-impressive stand of "Yvonne's Salvia" was grown from seed bought from Chiltern Seeds, usually a dependable source.

• rich_dufresne
    8 years ago

The problem with a pass-along plant as seed is that the multi-generational plants suffer from gene pool reduction and become inferior and weak. To keep the quality up, seed from vegetatively propagated plants is superior. This advice applies especially to all the new Agastache forms.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz