Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosewomann_gw

What exactly does old world vs new world Salvias mean?

rosewomann
19 years ago

What exactly does old world vs new world Salvias mean?

Just wondering...

Comments (14)

• phoebe1969
    19 years ago

Rose: I have always been wanting to ask that! I read something that said it had to do with ones that are basal vs. shrub. Can't wait for the experienced answer from our "sage" posters :)

• hummymummy
    19 years ago

Old world Europe/new world North and South America,
    me thinks... correct me if I'm wrong... ;Cheri
    (aka hummymummy vancouver, b.c. canada z8)

• Salvia_guy
    19 years ago

hummy;

You are correct but Old World also includes Asia and Africa.

SG

• hummymummy
    19 years ago

Thanks SG! Could you comment on germination of African Salvia. I have one seedling of Salvia africana lutea , but have no luck with Salvia africana caerulea (SP?) or lanceolata. Some of the asian species are also problematic: no germination from milthorizza (chinese red sage) or S. glutinosa.
    Cheers,
    Cheri
    ( aka hummymummy vancouver, b.c. canada z8)

• rosewomann
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So how have they changed? Or how are they different?
    Just wondering, bigger flowers?
    Thanks!
    Rose
    I couldn't get glutinosa to germinate either...

• phoebe1969
    19 years ago

I winter sowed a glutinosa seed on Jan.7 and had a sprout on March 1.
    Rose: I have looked at Betsy's list of plants from different countries but I wondered also if there were specific traits, visual or not that defines one from the other.

• Salvia_guy
    19 years ago

It really is a designation as to where the species are found naturally. North and South America were considered the NEW WORLD after they were discovered. Europe, Asia and Africa are considered the OLD WORLD.

Its more geographic than botanical although there are differences in flower form, growth habit etc.

SG

• ccroulet
    19 years ago

"so germinating seeds of some species from those regions require smoke treatment, naturally or with Liquid Smoke)"

What is "Liquid Smoke?" Where can I buy some?

• rosewomann
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It's a germination aid, I got stickers that you turn into liquid from Seedhunt.
    Haven't tried them yet.

Rose

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

Has anyone come across list showing which ones are Old World and which ones are New World? I'm wondering if any of my salvias might cross. I have gregii, guaranitica, May Night, and a couple others.

• euphorbphreak
    18 years ago

Christie, the Salvia chart at Cabrillo College linked below shows country of origin for every salvia they cover so you can tell quite easily.

David

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabrillo College Salvia list

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

That's exactly what I needed David - Thank You! : )

• Lance Sjogren
    6 years ago

I started planting salvias in my garden last year and noticed there seem to be two kinds- ones that grow like shrubs that are marginally cold hardy and ones that grow like perennials that are extremely cold hardy. The shrubby ones seem to be the new world salvias and the perennial ones the old world salvias.