Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Habit of S. coahuilensis

Posted by hybridsage Zone 8 ,Austin,Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 17:36

My Salvia x "Neuvo Leon" has new growth coming from rhizomes. Does coahuilensis do this also? The other
forms of coahuilensis I have had don't. Typical habit is more like greggii (woody and solitary) but has the form of Prostrate Rosemary.Flowers are small and lavender in color.
Art

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Habit of S. coahuilensis

That is how I remember it Art - like greggii. It was one of the first of the woody sages that turn up for sale around here and it wasn't particularly hardy lasting through just one mild winter. So Nuevo Leon is acting like microphylla La Trinidad Pink. Is it more like microphylla than greggii?

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 11:26

My coahuilensis show no sign of being rhizomatous..wish they were. I lost Nuevo Leon early on and will replace it if I come across another. I have not experienced my La Trinidad Pink spreading, but will take a closer look today. I have one large one in the ground and it's time to cut it back, so I'll see if I've been lucky enough to have rhizomes. I'm happy to have found seedlings and they're closest to the La Trinidad, so I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen with them....love seedlings and surprises.

o

Well being S. x "Neovo Leon" is from hybrid origins it
must have picked up some other "Habits" along the way.
I will need to see the form that Rich collected "Los Lirios" (Lyciodes x greggii) for comparasion.The s Microphylla "La Trinadad" is also rhizomatous as well
as "Cerro Postasi". I have had one form of microphylla
"San Luis Potasi" root from branches that touched the ground.
Art

o

La Trinidad is the most consistently soboliferous/stoloniferous form of microphylla, x jamensis, or greggii.

The lycioices x greggii/muelleri/coahuilensis sages are usually short and spreading, as opposed to the very erect greggiis `Big Pink' and `Pink Preference'. The lycioides x greggii forms like `San Isidro' also tend to be soboliferous.

None of these show signs of forming food storage organs like rhizomes or tubers.

BTW, it is the folks at Yucca-Do that collected Los Lirios and San Isidro.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here