Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When can I plant out my salvias?

Posted by ellieandethansmom 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 05 at 18:54

I started a bunch of salvias from cuttings in the late fall as well as some from seed. I was wondering if I have to wait later than the last frost date to put them out? Or am I looking for a soil temp? What are the rules with Salvia? I am growing greggi, coccina, mexican sage,clary sage, transylvanica, and verbenacea.

Thanks for any help, I don't want to lose these!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When can I plant out my salvias?

I usually start my plants indoors to transplant after the last frost date. You can try winter sowing seeds now but in VA there isn't much winter left, is there? I googled a little to find an answer for your state and found a link (see below); I would call the local State Extension office and ask to talk to a horticulturist...they will probably put you in touch with some master gardener for free information. I know mexicana flowers later in the year like in the fall, coccineas will flower easily from seed sown after the last frost date, and maybe other people can help with the rest of the species. You can google for the species name and learn if they are winter hardy or very tender, and then you can take chances with the winter hardy ones, and keep the tender ones for after the last frost date.

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: A newsletter out of VA

o
RE: When can I plant out my salvias?

I'm in z7 with an average last frost date of about April 15. Salvias are among the last perennials I put outside. I generally start hardening mine off around the last frost date and plant out in early May, unless I'm so pressed for light space that I have to get them out earlier and bring them in at night. More cold-hardy plants I start hardening off around Apr. 1.

Many salvia can take a fair bit of cold (coccinea, clary, and transylvanica among them), so you're not running a serious risk of losing them if you put them out a little early. But in my experience they do better if you wait a bit.

Steven

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here