Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? on Lady in Red

Posted by ellenr z6 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 19:07

Hi,
I Winter Sowed Lady in Red, and I actually sowed them too early (Feb). So now they are germinated - out-of-doors - in my container. Even during the 20 degree nights, they did ok, I cover them up.

I'm wondering how low a temp they can stand without me covering them.
I know frost will kill them, but is that the limit?
So 36 degrees for example is OK?

Just wondering when I can stop covering them. I don't plan to put them in the garden until post-frost date.

thanks for any info,
ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? on Lady in Red

ellenr:
Stop covering them after all danger of frost is past.Lady in red should set seed for you.It would be a
good idea to take cuttings of them in the summer so
when they don't make it through your winter you still
have plants for next year.
Art

o

I am amazed they survived outside since temps went into the teens at the end of February. Maybe if you continue to cover them they will make it now. Presumably there is still ungerminated seed out there. Normally the species will not germinate until the ground has warmed - sometime in May. Coccinea reseeds like crazy in New Jersey.

o

How would you care for the cutting over winter. I have WS'd some also.

o

Wardaa,
Yes I should have Winter Sown them end of March/beg. April, then they would have germinated right in time to be planted out in warm temps. Now I have to keep them alive in the container til I can plant them out.
I've heard many people say Cocchinea re-seeds as you say, but for me it doesn't. Just a couple of plants. Every year I dream of having a whole area with nothing but them, but hasn't happened.
By Wintersowing them I get pretty good germination, about 75%. I also have black and blue Salvia, which germinated *real* well, the whole container is full of them, they are so tiny and cute.

ellen

o

there is still time to plant seeds. You could just surface sow a whole batch into a pot and then seperate them into cells at the end of the month. I will have coccinea as part of a plant sale at Palmyra Cove Nature Park on 4/25/09 - fundraiser for the gardens there.

o

I sowed Lady in Red and Coral Nymph inside and they germinated very well. First time trying anything inside so hopefully I won't kill them before it's time to harden off and plant.

I have more seed and should spring sow some of both outside so I know I have some that are weather toughened.

The Hummingbirds loved the Lady in Red last year. It was the first time I ever saw a Hummingbird in person and up close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here