Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salviakeeper

Salvia dorrii and mohavensis

salviakeeper
14 years ago

These salvias were photographed this past January in the Mojave National Preserve. Deep winter there, nothing is in bloom but you may see the remains of the inflorescense on S. mohavensis. You can occasionally find them inhabiting the same creek bed, platonically intertwined...at least I think because I searched high and wide for hybrids...and found none...that survived anyway.

Both dorrii specimens photoed individually are unusual forms, the tree like one next to Auggie has more usual leaf arrangement while the other three closer-ups are of a single bush that I found with a less common leaf arrangement and one that I had never seen before.

Hoping to find at least the dorrii in bloom at the end of this month when I visit these same specimens. All were found near Mexican Water Spring just north of the Providence Mountains.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)

• salviakeeper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trying this one more time with photos. Haven't mastered this site yet :(

• ccroulet
    14 years ago

salviakeeper: I put my pictures in PhotoBucket. They create an html code for each picture that you can plug right into your text here. That way you can put a caption right before or after your picture. Maybe Flicker has something similar. I've never investigated it.

• ccroulet
    14 years ago

Sorry: I see your pictures *are* in Photobucket.

• salviakeeper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I unfortunately put the thumbnails instead of the full size shots here and apparently this site won't allow a repeat of the same images...glad you found them on photobucket.

• ccroulet
    14 years ago

Actually, clicking on the pix leads me to Photobucket page that says my query has failed. I can't see them there.

• salviakeeper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here they are. You can enlarge them from here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Salvias

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Salviakeeper:
    Do you have any sugestions for us here in Central Texas
    on growing S.apiana,clevelandii or spathacea?
    Art

• salviakeeper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hybridsage, I am unfamiliar with W.Texas but I would urge you to try, if you haven't already. S apiana and spathecea are native to my region so they aren't too difficult. Apiana wants excellent drainage and you generally find them growing on steep slopes of scree and in dry creekbeds, generally at higher elevations, 1000'+. Here they get very little water and I would not irrigate in warm weather months. I have seen people irrigate in summer and turn out huge plants but they usually die sooner as the H2O appears to speed up their lifecycle. I would also recommend rock mulching and a particularly big rock on the south side of the plant to stabilize temperature. Spathecea are usually found under oaks and I would always plant them where there is filtered sunlight or maybe direct AM only sun with a good amount of oak leaf mulch. Unlike apiana, they tolerate more water and will look good in the summer and even after their bloom with some light watering. Some people cut them to the ground in the fall so you have a more vigorous looking plant in winter and spring. I occasionally see them growing side by side with apiana in steep canyon / riparian settings. Spathecea does spread by seed and by rhizomes, so if your habitat is good, you'll soon have a nice patch or stand of hummingbird sage in a couple of seasons. They like protection too, and i have they growing in an area among my opuntias. Clevelandi in my experience is much more tempermental out of its range. I have had mixed luck with this species as I'm about 300 miles north of its San Diego County habitat. I suspect this species is a mondo heat lover...which may make it a good candidate for your climate. I would again recommend excellent drainage and no out of season irrigation and good organic mulch. Branch dieback has happened frequently along with overall lack-luster vigor and early death here. I have heard of good results in Las Vegas, NV so you may want to give it a chance. Currently I have Winifred Gilman, Betsy Clebsch and a strain from Baja California, all doing just okay, WG being the happiest. You might try some of the leucophylla hybrids, like Allan Chickering, Whirly Blue, or Pozo Blue...they seem to be a bit more adaptable out of SD County.
    Good luck!

• ccroulet
    14 years ago

I'll add a bit to salviakeeper's excellent essay. Info that I've seen about propagation of S. clevelandii in southern AZ suggests afternoon shade for them. It's just too hot. You'll have to judge how close you are to AZ-type temps. In nature they get lots of sun, and of course summers are dry. But 100+ heat is infrequent. High 80s & 90s is more typical in July & August. Rich Dufresne in this forum (lives in NC) says persistent high humidity and hot nights are bad for most Calif. salvias. In most of their natural range, summer nights are in the upper 50s & low 60s. You'd be wearing a light jacket or sweater. OTOH, during winter, night temps below the mid-20s are rare. One of my favorite native populations is high enough to get snow each winter.

Note that many plants sold in the nursery trade as S. clevelandii are -- I'm convinced -- hybrids or at least genetically contaminated. I mean even when they aren't labeled as acknowledged hybrids ("Allen Chickering," "Pozo Blue," etc.). The hybrids bloom earlier. You may actually prefer them, because they tend to be larger and bloom for a longer period.

I yield to salviakeeper WRT S. spathacea. The species isn't native to my area, and I haven't seen it in nature. Mine die back & look like they're at death's door if exposed to mid-day summer sun. Afternoon shade seems essential. But I'm inland, not on the coast. I have one that gets full sun in winter, but in summer the tree above it is leafed-out, and the plant looks great at all times. I'd think winter temps below mid-20s or extended bouts of sub-freezing temps would do them in. Mine survived 23 deg F in Jan '07. For you in west TX, they may need protection.

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Salviakeeper & ccroulet:
    Thank you both! Afternoon shade and a granite hill for drainage.
    The Temperatures/humidity here may lead to some problems
    but you never know unless you try.
    Art

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz