Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydproquo

Salvia Picante/ Salvia Mojito Seed Germination

sydproquo
17 years ago

Hello everyone, I have two questions to ask.

The first question is, I have two different types of Salvia seeds. I would like to know if they're mexican or not, and if they have Salvia Divinorum chemical in them (out of curiousity)?

The second question is, do these seeds need to be cold stratified in a refrigerator (for a few days before planting), or put in room-temperature water (for a few days before planting), or just simply plant the seed (on-top of soil/ peet moss) to be germinated?

Please help, I do appreciate it.

Comments (8)

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

Salvia `Mojito' is evidently Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica alba. Salvia `Picante' is evidently a selected series of splendens. Neither should have any compounds like salvinorin A. Cold treatment is not necessary - plant directly on the surface and mist lightly to keep the seed damp. They should germinate in 7-14 days, as long as you have temperatures around 70 degrees.

• sydproquo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, okay. Thanks. So, what Salvia plant would best be suited with a compound like Salvinorin A active within it (that question is a little suttle - Maybe there is a website with a list)?

• sydproquo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

**I'm kind of new to all of this stuff** - So, the only Salvias with Salvinorin A is Salvia Divinorum plants, no other Salvias?

• ramazz
    17 years ago

This is a gardening forum. The questions you are asking indicate that gardening is not what you are interested in.

• sydproquo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I figured someone would have to say something about that. No, I still have to garden to do anything with it. Obviously, I'm not just going to throw away my Picante and Mojito seeds - I actually just sowed them. I am using them as household plants only. I am only asking these questions for my curiousity, not for my actions.

• dicot
    17 years ago

Despite the obvious drug seeking behavior, I'm just impressed by anybody who can get Mexican sages to grow in Canada.

• sydproquo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dicot, How did you know I lived in Canada? It is irrelevant. Just to let you know, my Salvias are already growing (three days into growing), but I have a question about that too. Because I live in Canada (Zone 5), the light right now, in March, is a little hard to get most of the day. So, I am using natural and artifical light (both at the same time), is this unhealthy for my Salvias, or should I consider just giving it natural light (I remember last year, my garden didn't turn out as healthy as I wanted because the plants were already mature, but I couldn't put them outside yet, meaning they didn't get enough light. Thus, they grew really long stems and not many leaves)? I just thought I should do something different and get the plants more light.

• ramazz
    17 years ago

I use "adjustable" fluorescent light fixtures (on chains) and an adjustable grow light. My son and I created the system from a set of metal shelves purchased from Home Depot (the shelves are mesh, meant for a bathroom) and fluorescent shop lights, which hang above each shelf. On the top shelf, I have my grow light, which I bought last year. Many thanks to my brother, who gave us a gift card to Home Depot for Christmas!

To keep the seedlings from getting leggy, you need to have the light bulb very close to them. As they grow, you move the light up a bit. My plants are too big already but that is my fault for planting too early. They aren't leggy, though, they are beautiful. Unfortunately, I have too many of them for the space and thus can't start any more of seeds . . . I need another set of shelves, but don't have another gift card!

Becky

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor