Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's this salvia?

Posted by salviakeeper (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 20:44

Somebody gave me this salvia years ago and it is in bloom now so I thought that I'd try to find its identity.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia unnamed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's this salvia?

Maybe Salvia Nana? foliage is all wrong for sinaloensis
See what Rich has to say.
Art

o

It is hard to tell. S. nana has medium blue flowers, not lavender, and the spike is expanded and open, not congested.

See the photo I took at Cabrillo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia nana at Cabrillo

o

Thanks Art and Rich. It is hard to tell and my pix are not crisp. My plant is alot more congested and flowers are lavender, as you say. This is a stressed plant as I never water it, so it looks dead during the dry months, dropping all its leaves and then comes alive with cool weather and rain...which may or may not have an effect on its anatomy. It just may be a hybrid.

o

I don't think this is S. nana. If the flowers are congested and very small....could it be S. lavanduloides or S. agnes? Both are quite similar. Just a thought.

o

Thanks Robinmi, I checked out your pix for both of these species and I don't think this plant is either one. I've just taken a couple more shots with a black card background to isolate the plant's structure a bit more. Any other ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia ID ?

o

Yes, you are correct, it is definitely not agnes or lavanduloides. My problem is that I don't have half of the Salvias which I used to have as I discarded those which are not so ornamental or take up too much space in the greenhouse. Therefore it is hard for me to identify many species.

But....could it be Salvia longispicata???

o

Salviakeeper:
You have a real winner. I don't believe that to be longispicata.The flowers are to big and the foliage is
much to narrow for longispicata even in a drier climate.
I have no idea what it is.
Art

o

thanks Art. I think longispicata was about the closest thing so far but and i agree, it's probably something else. I guess the mystery will continue.

o

How tall is it? Could it be Salvia gilliesii??

o

If it is fairly small, could it be Salvia rypara? This is very variable in colour.....blue, lavender, occasionally white. Rypara can be very straggly, depending on soil and climate.

o

very similar to rypara yet lacks distinctive serations on leaves and lacks prominant b-lines on the flower

o

When I saw the flowers, S. melissodora came to mind. S. keerli is related, but neither would have that kind of foliage.

o

• Posted by corb Z8 Netherlands (My Page) on
    Tue, May 10, 11 at 0:30

Could it not be an S. azurea ?

Cor

o

Sorry the flowers ,foliage and habit are not any form of
S.azurea either reminds me of several species but yet nothing fits.
Art

o

Better late than never.....Salvia guadalajarensis?

o

It looks like salvia thyrsiflora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here