Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salviakeeper

What's this salvia?

salviakeeper
14 years ago

Somebody gave me this salvia years ago and it is in bloom now so I thought that I'd try to find its identity.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia unnamed

Comments (16)

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Maybe Salvia Nana? foliage is all wrong for sinaloensis
    See what Rich has to say.
    Art

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

It is hard to tell. S. nana has medium blue flowers, not lavender, and the spike is expanded and open, not congested.

See the photo I took at Cabrillo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia nana at Cabrillo

• salviakeeper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Art and Rich. It is hard to tell and my pix are not crisp. My plant is alot more congested and flowers are lavender, as you say. This is a stressed plant as I never water it, so it looks dead during the dry months, dropping all its leaves and then comes alive with cool weather and rain...which may or may not have an effect on its anatomy. It just may be a hybrid.

• robinmi_gw
    14 years ago

I don't think this is S. nana. If the flowers are congested and very small....could it be S. lavanduloides or S. agnes? Both are quite similar. Just a thought.

• salviakeeper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Robinmi, I checked out your pix for both of these species and I don't think this plant is either one. I've just taken a couple more shots with a black card background to isolate the plant's structure a bit more. Any other ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia ID ?

• robinmi_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, you are correct, it is definitely not agnes or lavanduloides. My problem is that I don't have half of the Salvias which I used to have as I discarded those which are not so ornamental or take up too much space in the greenhouse. Therefore it is hard for me to identify many species.

But....could it be Salvia longispicata???

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Salviakeeper:
    You have a real winner. I don't believe that to be longispicata.The flowers are to big and the foliage is
    much to narrow for longispicata even in a drier climate.
    I have no idea what it is.
    Art

• salviakeeper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks Art. I think longispicata was about the closest thing so far but and i agree, it's probably something else. I guess the mystery will continue.

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

How tall is it? Could it be Salvia gilliesii??

• robinmi_gw
    14 years ago

If it is fairly small, could it be Salvia rypara? This is very variable in colour.....blue, lavender, occasionally white. Rypara can be very straggly, depending on soil and climate.

• brassax
    12 years ago

very similar to rypara yet lacks distinctive serations on leaves and lacks prominant b-lines on the flower

• rich_dufresne
    12 years ago

When I saw the flowers, S. melissodora came to mind. S. keerli is related, but neither would have that kind of foliage.

• corb
    12 years ago

Could it not be an S. azurea ?

Cor

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Sorry the flowers ,foliage and habit are not any form of
    S.azurea either reminds me of several species but yet nothing fits.
    Art

• robinmi_gw
    11 years ago

Better late than never.....Salvia guadalajarensis?

• annette68_gw
    11 years ago

It looks like salvia thyrsiflora

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21