Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Drought Tolerant Types

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 21:05

1/3 of our property has no irrigation, and we keep it cleared 15' from our fence. We own down to a seasonal stream and up the hill.

Always a fire danger here. There is a wild oak near the seasonal stream, and the rest of it is native shrubs and weeds.

I'd like to mingle some salvias down there with the natives and wondering how to give them a start.

I have seeds on the way, and I can take cuttings of the one I have, or divide it.

How do you give them a start with zero irrigation?

Do I have to walk down there daily with a watering can?

Thanks for your help!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Drought Tolerant Types

I am not from california but I do have acreage in a semi arid area that is hot as h_ll. I usually plant in fall any plants unless they are marginally cold hardy , or in early spring, I let them establish roots over the winter and give them a bi weekly watering if there is no rain in the heat of summer for the first year, Then they are on their own. I am not a Californian and I do not plant californian natives. I live with a rain water system for ALL my needs so irrigation of plants are only for the young ones.

o

Thank you! I'll plant seeds in fall and hopefully the rains will get them started!

I'm not a fan of going down that treacherous hill, but I'd love to view some pretty wildflowers in the canyon and across. I have a hiking staff for stability and to flip off the occasional snake I may encounter.

Good advice!

Suzi

o

Seeds in the Fall will be a good idea. When on our big property I would buy the small plants when ever I found them, repot them to 1 gal size container and allow to grow a really good root system over the summer. Then in the Fall, when very little is available, I would plant my now bigger, more robust plants in the landscape trying not to disturb the root-mass anymore than necessary. If you don't get enough rain you will need to water over the winter. This was the only way I could keep new plants alive over our hot, dry summers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here