Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_texas_peg

Salvia Patens

west_texas_peg
17 years ago

I received Salvia Patens in a seed swap this past fall. I want to record this plant in my plant log but am confused. Something I received at that time made me think it was purple but the ones I find online are various shades of blue. I was wanting blue.

Does it come in purple? Or is it just blue?

Peggy

Comments (8)

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

The normal color is a true blue and includes forms `Oxford Blue', `Guanajuato', and `Blue Angel'. A lighter blue is `Cambridge Blue', then there are lavender forms like `Chilcombe' and `Lavender Lady', and a white form, `White Trophy'.

It is somewhat tuberous and forms thick roots. It needs good drainage and some humus. It definitely needs rest periods, during which it is dormant and should not be killed with kindness by overwatering and feeding. Do not let the dormant plant freeze in its pot.

• wardda
    17 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks patens doesn't like heat and humidity. It doesn't outright die in heat and humidity, but for much of the summer looks like it would prefer to. My wife loves the flower and always wants us to grow it so we do. And then she wonders why I abuse her favorite salvia every year. Is there a selection that works best in the Mid Atlantic area?

• tabassam
    17 years ago

I'm in the Mid Atlantic area and I had one in a pot in part sun, neglected, but it bloomed. I thought it may die during the hottest part of summer, but I think being in shade during the hottest part of the day helped it. THe foliage looked unattactive, but I loved the color of the blooms. I stuck it in the ground in the fall in a well drained warm area and it looks alive. I'm going to plant something in front of it so it will hide the foliage.

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

I think it wants to go dormant during the hottest parts of the summer. It is probably a high altitude plant in scree (loose) soils in Mexico, where it does not get too hot.

Guanajuato seems to be the most humidity resistant form, but still struggles.

• nearlywild
    17 years ago

I have salvia Patens up from seed, but now I don't know that I want it in my garden since it spreads from tuberous. How evasive is it?

The picture where I ordered the seed was blue.

• Salvia_guy
    17 years ago

> I have salvia Patens up from seed, but now I don't know that I want it in my garden since it spreads from tuberous. How evasive is it? It isn't invasive! If it was invasive, that would not be a problem to me...LOL

I have some plants in my garden that are over five years old. These have not spread from where they are planted...OH DARN!

Newly planted S. patens looks best with several plants planted in a group say 3-5 plants. As young plants do not produce many flower stems. Also S. patens does not have many blooms open at one time. By planting several plants the flower display is better. As the plants get older and form larger tubers there will be more flowers open per plant.

SG

• nearlywild
    17 years ago

Thanks SG...now I feel much better about salvia patens. Since they are coming back for you, I should have no problem with them being perennial. You post is really appreciated.
    jc

• Patricia Correa
    9 years ago

I am currently trying to locate salvia patens lavender lady and having no luck. Any idea where I can find seeds or plants??? Thank you so much for your time!!