Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annette68_gw

Salvia I.D. needed

annette68_gw
17 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I sowed some seeds I received as Salvia Lemmonnii last year, this plant has now flowered and it is not lemmonnii or a greggii type flower, it is more coccinea looking but the foliage is not, very brittle and I have never seen anything like it.

Any Ideas.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Salvia Flower/Bud

Comments (9)

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

It might be one of the involucrata, maybe Mulberry Jam. You didn't get any of the leaves, but the stems to involucrata are quite brittle... as our Peeping Tom soon found out, and much to my dismay.

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

We really need to see an image of the foliage. My first impression was that it might be Salvia rubescens var. truxilensis, from Ginny Hunt. The growing tip does not look at all like involucrata or a hybrid. Involucrata and puberula do not set seed well.

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I agree that it is not involucrata or puberula which I do have.Here is a close up off the foliage.......

Here is a link that might be useful: Close up off foliage

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

If I just saw the foliage, I would guess Scutellaria longifolia Purple Rain. The flower is the right size and color, but it is clearly a Salvia. The first image is a top down view. Can we get a side view?

It is clearly not Mulberry Jam or a hybrid of involucrata, either. Time to call in Robin and Christian Froissart.

• robinmi_gw
    17 years ago

Thanks, Rich, for suggesting me, but I have no idea! Doesn't look like the rubescens which I have, which never flowers anyway! It is intriguing however!

Robin.

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a pic off the flower and the side view on flickr,when it loads you will see a pic on the photostream in a tubepot, this is the same salvia but 2 months ago and when it was younger the foliage was so unique with very larg leaves and little leaves on the stem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Salvia

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

Pretty plant there, Annette!

Joseph

• robinmi_gw
    17 years ago

I wonder if it could be a North American species?

Robinn.

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

It is definitely a New World sage, adapted to a climate like the Central American Scutellarias and Salvia buchananii.

The zigzaging of the stem is not that unusual. Every now and then, I get a shoot off a sage where opposite patrs of nodes seem to get deactivated in an alternating pattern. The axillary stems off these are usually normal.

Another occasional development in axillary growth is for the stem to have 6-fold symmetry, with 6 vascular bundles and leaves coming out in whorls of three. In the case of Westringias, this is normal, and the vascular bundles progress to a normal of 8 per stem. I've not seen seedlings of this genus, but I assume they start out with the normal 4 vascular bundles.

Sponsored