Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia I.D. needed

Posted by annette68 Qld Australia (aawright68@optusnet.com) on
Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 21:50

Hi Everybody,

I sowed some seeds I received as Salvia Lemmonnii last year, this plant has now flowered and it is not lemmonnii or a greggii type flower, it is more coccinea looking but the foliage is not, very brittle and I have never seen anything like it.

Any Ideas.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Salvia Flower/Bud

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia I.D. needed

It might be one of the involucrata, maybe Mulberry Jam. You didn't get any of the leaves, but the stems to involucrata are quite brittle... as our Peeping Tom soon found out, and much to my dismay.

o

We really need to see an image of the foliage. My first impression was that it might be Salvia rubescens var. truxilensis, from Ginny Hunt. The growing tip does not look at all like involucrata or a hybrid. Involucrata and puberula do not set seed well.

o

I agree that it is not involucrata or puberula which I do have.Here is a close up off the foliage.......

Here is a link that might be useful: Close up off foliage

o

If I just saw the foliage, I would guess Scutellaria longifolia Purple Rain. The flower is the right size and color, but it is clearly a Salvia. The first image is a top down view. Can we get a side view?

It is clearly not Mulberry Jam or a hybrid of involucrata, either. Time to call in Robin and Christian Froissart.

o

Thanks, Rich, for suggesting me, but I have no idea! Doesn't look like the rubescens which I have, which never flowers anyway! It is intriguing however!

Robin.

o

Here is a pic off the flower and the side view on flickr,when it loads you will see a pic on the photostream in a tubepot, this is the same salvia but 2 months ago and when it was younger the foliage was so unique with very larg leaves and little leaves on the stem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Salvia

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 12:51

Pretty plant there, Annette!

Joseph

o

I wonder if it could be a North American species?

Robinn.

o

It is definitely a New World sage, adapted to a climate like the Central American Scutellarias and Salvia buchananii.

The zigzaging of the stem is not that unusual. Every now and then, I get a shoot off a sage where opposite patrs of nodes seem to get deactivated in an alternating pattern. The axillary stems off these are usually normal.

Another occasional development in axillary growth is for the stem to have 6-fold symmetry, with 6 vascular bundles and leaves coming out in whorls of three. In the case of Westringias, this is normal, and the vascular bundles progress to a normal of 8 per stem. I've not seen seedlings of this genus, but I assume they start out with the normal 4 vascular bundles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here