Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia regla seed germination

Posted by browneyedsusan z8a AL (susanmruppert@gmail.com) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 23:16

I harvested a lot of S. regla seed last fall. I would appreciate any advice on how to germinate the seeds. Thanks,
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia regla seed germination

Are the seeds large, about 1/8 inch, deep brown with clean surfaces? Seed like this is ideal, but seed with a whitish cast may germinate well, providing there is no mold. See the attached image to gauge the correct size and shape.

The image is for S. regla Jame (Coahuila), which I introduced back in the early 90s. Note the size of the seed versus the size of the gynobase before and after fertilization. Much of the time, only one or two of the nutlets get fertilized.

You can plant the seed on top of the media, with or without a dusting of fine milled sphagnum to help maintain humidity around the seed. I use grow lights with bottom heat set at 70 degrees, and check daily to see if I need to mist the seeds. If the flat starts to dry, I bottom water the flat. I use fine vermiculite for the germination medium, or some other sterile medium, never dirt.

Keep the seeds spaced about 1/2 inch apart

o
RE: Salvia regla seed germination

Rich,
Your pictures are neat. The seeds I harvested are large, smooth and brown and as you said, in most of the calyces there was only one seed. No mold at all. I appreciate your advice and am look forward to starting them this weekend.

Thanks,
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here