Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hybridsage

Salvia Greggii Raspberry

hybridsage
15 years ago

Rich:

I your weather ok for me to ship your S. greggii Raspberry?

Art

Comments (6)

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Yep. We just got over our last (I hope!) few nights in the teens. All of my plants have been just sitting there, waiting to flush out growth. This coming week should spark the usual spring rebirth.

• wardda
    15 years ago

One called Raspberry showed up last year at a local nursery. It was fairly vigorous and bloomed moderately all summer. Another greggii possibly from the same company that arrived with the same lot was named Coral. The latter really impressed me. It has leaves that are very similar to Cherry Queen, deepest green. It put out a steady supply of coral colored flowers that seemed to change with the light conditions. All the examples have died to the ground in our particularly hard winter but I'm hoping. Cuttings from the original plants rooted fairly easily. I would use it at a spring plant sale if it wasn't patented.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wardda:
    Did you end up with Rich's Raspberry Royale? This is
    sometimes sold as Raspberry Ripple which is less than
    a foot tall. Most likely out of Mexico. Very small leaves
    that are dark dark green. one of the darkest leaves I have
    seen out of the coahuilensis forms. Very small shrublet even here. I have a microphylla that is a coral color
    also.I cut it back several weeks ago and it is back in bloom again.
    Art

• wardda
    15 years ago

Art, I lost it somewhere along the way, probably in a bad winter. It was certainly a good one, one of the first I ever tried. All that is left is a seedling that came up next to it 4 or 5 years ago. It is more pink and a rather short grower.

I've never seen a coral colored microphylla, I keep hoping for a stray seedling along those lines.

I heard on the news that you folks still haven't had any rain. It has to be disheartening being dry month after month, the farmers must want to put a gun to their heads.

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Art:

So you are saying the true Raspberry Ripple is a coahuilensis x greggii form? Interesting.

On my trip to Mexico with John and Carl of Yucca-Do, we stopped up in the hills above San Raphael in Coahuila at a relatively low location, where I found some greggii types that have very narrow leaves and red to orange-red flowers. There was no sign of any of the blue or purple coahilensis, muelleri, or chamaedryoides swarms around. The plants have the habit of prostrate rosemary.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rich:
    This plant is very interesting it has a very different
    smell than S.Navajo Purple. I remember going to Manuel
    Flores's nursery in San Antonio to see S.coahuilensis.
    Some had very open habits w/wirey stems while others
    were more shrub like. Raspberry is short (less than a Foot)
    Lavender/Purple color. I have got some variability in
    leaf forms 1 Pink flowered Form and a lavender Dwf Form
    that has smaller flowers.Armand has a Red Velvet x Raspberry
    hybrid called CranRaz dark green leaves like Raspberry.
    Art

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm