Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogcatlady

black & blue cuttings?

Ann
15 years ago

Hello,

I am hoping to grow salvia guaranitica black & blue this year for the hummingbirds (who showed up for the first time last year.) Does anyone have any cuttings or babies they'd part with for the cost of shipping?

Thanks,

Ann in Maryland (7A)

Comments (10)

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Ann:
    A world of Salvias has black and blue for sale. Rich is in North Carolina so that would be pretty close. I have a plant here in Texas but don't have time to cut on it.
    My Garden is on tour next year so I am having to focus
    on get things ready.Sorry I can't help you out.
    Art

• Mary Leek
    15 years ago

Ann,

Did you ever get your black and blue babies? If not, perhaps I can help you.

Mary
    North Little Rock AR

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Mary, just this morning I ordered some from Lazy S's. World of Salvias didn't return my emails, and I really wanted to get some started! If you have some babies, though, I'll try to cancel my order (if you are able to let me know soon!)

Thank you!

Ann

• Mary Leek
    15 years ago

Ann,

I don't exactly know how to send them or how they will arrive. I have a lot of babies, as this plant must love where it's setting and is spreading big time. After seeing your message, I went out and cut out a little guy and put him in a little pot with garden soil. He looks good this morning, not drooped over. He's probably the smallest baby as they've been up for some time now and most are probably 8 to 10 inches tall.

I'd hate for you to cancel your order, then have mine arrive half or totally dead. But I'm game to try and send some if you'd like. Since it would be a learning experience for me, how about me trying to send you some and I pay for the shipping. This way, you'd be out nothing if they don't make it due to my ignorance. The only thing is, if you cancel your order and mine aren't good, you'd be later yet in getting them started in your garden.

Bear in mind, they are still growing in the garden, except for the one I potted up yesterday afternoon, just to see how he'd hold up being dug up and set out in a little pot. They'd all have to be dug up and put in something before sending.

Is there anyone following this thread that might suggest how to prepare freshly dug babies for shipping?

Mary

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mary,

I would happily pay for shipping regardless of the outcome!! I appreciate you trying to help me!

I'm trying to cancel my order at Lazy S's. Regardless, if I have too many I know several gardeners who'd love to have this plant (as soon as I tell them all I've heard!)
    If it dies in transit (which I doubt it will) I'll just place my order again. No harm done! But I suspect it'll be fine. I read your post about shipping; I think it'd do well in dirt, as Art said. That's how most (but not all) of my perennials have arrived from nurseries. The weather here (zone 7A) is probably similar to yours right now; varies from 45 at night to 60-75 during the day. There's someone at home who can check the mail so the package doesn't cook on my doorstep!

Please let me know if you're definitely up for this! I appreciate your kindness and generosity!!!

Please write to me at Catlady4444@verizon.net.

Thanks!

Ann

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mary,

I received confirmation that my order was cancelled. (and finally heard from World of Salvias! That'll be my more economical back-up plan!)

Any chance you'd be willing to send 3 babies?
    THANK YOU!

Ann

• Mary Leek
    15 years ago

Ann,

I sent you an email. I will need a shipping addreess. I don't know if it would be best to go ahead and pot them and let them sit until I get your address or to wait until I'm ready to package for shipping. This is all so new to me. However, I don't want you to pay for the postage as it is a learning experience for me. Just let me know how they look when they arrive and if they settle in and take hold. Will you do that for me? This way, I'll feel more comfortable offering to share things, if I can learn how to pack them well for mailing.

Mary

• Ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Problem solved! THANKS MARY!!! : )

• z6_momojo
    14 years ago

Mary-

Do you still have any babies? I would be interested as well.

Thanks

Todd
    St. Louis

• sandinmyshoesoregon
    14 years ago

Don't these grow from the undergrown tubers? Dig them up & ship them. Should be tons of them.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio