Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh_gw

Silke's Dream

Josh
18 years ago

Ordered Silke's Dream from Plant Delights' Spring 2005 catalog which described it as having "rich dark orange-red" blooms. Tonight I was looking back thru the PD catalog of Fall 2004 (re another plant) but noticed that the description for Silke's Dream reads "rich dark salmon-pink".

I intend to email the nursery for clarificaton, but I'd also love feedback from anyone here who has grown this particular cultivar. I'm new to Salvias. Do they change color with too much or not enough sun? josh

Comments (5)

• phoebe1969
    18 years ago

Josh said:Do they change color with too much or not enough sun?

Josh: I have a greggii that the flowers are much darker coral pink this year than last when it was a lighter peachy/pink. I'm thinking it has to do with the soil as we had a very wet winter which could have sort of leeched the soil and maybe changed the ph and made it more alkaline. Just a thought.

• Josh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Phoebe, that's interesting. I know foliage often shows a change in color, texture, even size in many tropical plants particularly, depending on amount of light provided. And often I'll grow a hardy plant like Fatsia in shade even though it will withstand sun because I prefer the glossier deeper green leaf.

Had a nice reply from Plant Delights advising me that the 2005 catalog description was correct: rich dark orange-red. That's what I wanted so I'm happy.

I plan to grow it (only 24" tall and hardy here) in a large container on its own or possibly with other plants, using potting soil, but with a little sand added for best drainage. Any thoughts or experience on growing Salvia in a pot? josh

P.S. I've not moved from GA to AL overnight...just now got around to updating my Member Page~~smile. josh

• wardw
    18 years ago

I would expect that any greggii, if that's what it is, to grow very well in a large pot. I'm growing one in a large pot also this summer, mainly so I can use it to make cuttings this fall and winter. It wouldn't surprise me if they grow better in pots here in New Jersey, as long as they get some water when the dog days arrive. After one year of growing greggiis I've learned two things for sure: a wet winter like we just had will kill them; and that they are worth all the time and trouble of searching for the correct cultivars for this climate. Down where you are, shouldn't you be able to just leave the pot out all winter since you never fall below 0 F?

• Josh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm attaching the catalog description. I figured if it did well in TX then surely ok in GA heat and humidity. Plus Scott Ogden recommended it..I like his writing on southern plants. I garden in containers entirely now, so I can easily adjust watering as needed in summer. (My previous gardening was mostly shade in heavy acid GA clay...now with more sun and selected soil in pots I'm trying things I've never grown before).

I appreciate your warning about too much moisture in winter. I plan to tuck my Salvias in unheated garage to prevent damage from our frequent heavy rains..I can keep lightly watered by hand.

Wasn't Alan Lacey based in New Jersey...he was one of my favorite writers and I remember his writing about muggy hot summers. I'll have to dig out his books again...now that I have sunshine there are lots of plants I used to just skip over reading about that I may now have a chance with.

You mentioned taking cuttings...that's the first thing I do with a new tropical or hardy shrub or perennial..then I can experiment with growing conditions a little ...plus have another plant to use elsewhere. Thanks again for your advice...also trying S.x 'Indigo Spires'. In fact I'm almost postive Allen Lacey wrote beguilingly about this one looping gracefully in his book on Autumn in the garden. I really must reread his books! josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia 'Silke's Dream'

• Josh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, misspelled name. It's Allen Lacy and if
    you haven't read his books, I'd highly recommend them. Dustjacket of 'The Garden in Autumn' says he gardens in southern NJ but with such a small state wouldn't most of it be about the same growing conditions? josh

Sponsored
Valeria Design Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
National Interior Design Firm | 8x Best of Houzz