Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annette68_gw

Salvia Farinacea 'Augusta Duelberg'

annette68_gw
16 years ago

My salvia farinacea 'Henry Duelberg' is lonely here in Australia without Augusta, Has anyone got seeds?

TIA

Annette

Comments (16)

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Salvia farinacea 'Henry Duelberg' was indeed spectacular in the UK last year. Cuttings survived the winter, and a few seeds have germinated. I would LOVE to have Augusta also....would make a brilliant combination.

There is a small purple form, available from Chiltern Seeds, called 'Evolution'. I can recommend this one.

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Robin,

I know that you would love the seeds of this also, that is why I started this topic in the hope that someone out there has seeds so you could get some:)

A.

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Thank you!

• hybridsage
    16 years ago

Annette:
    I have a mass planting of 'Augusta Duelberg' that would get you pure strain.
    If you are interested I live where S.Farinacea grows in
    the wild if you would like I can collect some of those too.
    There are more forms here than just White and Blue also.
    The population is located by a major roadway so it would
    be good to distribute some of these wild forms before they are gone forever.If Robin is interested there are plenty
    I can send some to him too.

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes please, I would love to grow some of the wild strains and I know Robin would also, that way you will get another 2 continents going with the wild ones Australia and Europe.

Many Thanks,

Annette

p.s. I have had Henry Duelberg growing for over a year now and it loves it here, beautiful plant.

• sowngrow (8a)
    16 years ago

hybridsage-I'd like Augusta Duelberg seeds also. Please email me with details.

• hybridsage
    16 years ago

Annette:
    I will be in touch as the first round of seed ripens.
    Need to get in touch with Robin too! The plants are
    in full bloom right now so it should not be to long.
    Will try to post some pics.

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, would love to see the pics.

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did anyone manage to get any 'Augusta ' seeds, Henry is still lonely here in Oz as well as in the U.K. at Robin's place:)

Cheers Annette

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Even with a mass planting of Agusta Duelberg, you might have to get as many as a couple dozen seedlings going to get a white one, since color throws of blue sages into white or magenta tend to revert back. This is true with S. pratensis, so Art is correct to gather seed from a mass planting, especially if there are no blue forms around.

In pratensis, other traits like flower and leaf size and other morphological properties are also variable between seedlings.

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Rich, I am a real patient gal:)

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Annette:
    The first round of seed aborted due to a severe drought here.We recieved rain and cooler temps the salvias have
    really flowered nicely. So hope round two is better.
    I did get a larger flowered Farinacea to share.
    Art

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks alot Art, I am a patient gal and Henry has been a dream, this is one of the best farinaceas I have seen.I would love some seeds of the larger flowered farinacea.

Does your salvia ballotaeflora ever set any seeds, some of the american salvias are the hardest to get seeds of, this one texana and subsincisa to name a few.I would also love to try:)

Many Thanks for your efforts.

Annette

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

We received rain and cooler(95 degrees F)Temperatures
    plus several Storms/Hurricanes brewing in the Gulf. Salvia
    texana is getting really hard to find due to habitat distruction.Salvia ballaeflora rarely produces seed it does not have as wide a distribution as texana or farinacea.
    The one that is gone here in williamson and Travis Co.
    is engelmannii. Plenty of S roemeriana and a few coccinea there and there.The other that is hard to run across is
    azurea var grandiflora. We will keep you posted.
    Art

• annette68_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Art,

What a shame that so many of the natives are being lost, that is no good at all.

Thanks for the info.

Annette

• squirrelspur
    15 years ago

Annette, I owe you seeds from Augusta. I killed the plant I had before it bloomed so will need to get another plant and try again. Haven't forgotten you. If you have time, send me an updated list of seeds you are seeking and I'll try to get some more for you.

Karen in NC

Sponsored