engelmannii,

columbariae,

palaestina,

carduacea.

Thanks for making an offer.

Comments (17)

• ccroulet
    13 years ago

I may be able to get some S. carduacea seeds for you, but it'll be a few weeks. Keep in mind that it's an annual. This grows not far from where I live & also I have some in a large pot. I'm not sure how those are going to turn out.

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Check out the Salvias on Ginny Hunt's Seedhunt for many of them.

Salvia englemannii and S. penstemonoides are available from

Native American Seed 800-728-4043
    Mail Order Station
    3791 N US Hwy 377
    Junction, TX 76849
    Salvis penstemonoides Big Red Sage Item #: 3162
    Salvia Engelmannii Engelmann Sage Item #: 3146
    E-mail: info@seedsource.com
    Web Page: http://www.seedsource.com/catalog/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=3146

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedhunt

• basket76
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks for your answers and proposition to get seeds. It's fine. Do you want something for trading ? I have a lot of seeds and plants...Ask me !
    JPierre

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

I have salvia englemanii ( 2 populations) and maybe salvia penstemonoides and salvia roemerianna. They grow wild on my land. I have a few left over and you are welcomed to them. I will have many more at the end of the season. You can get a hold of me through my profile page. - Mara

• ccroulet
    13 years ago

WRT S. carduacea seeds: I'd give them to you. I need nothing in trade.

• basket76
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ccroulet ! I shall give you my address by sending an email.
    Wantonamara, thanks also ! I have already found S. penstemonoides. Very interested by engelmannii. What do you want from me ? Could you give me a list please. I have access to about 300 different Salvias...Ask and I shall see if possible. Plant or/and seeds.
    Always looking for columbariae and palaestina.

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Salvia columbariae might be available from Theodore Payne Foundation

Here is a link that might be useful: Theodore Payne Foundation seed list

• ccroulet
    13 years ago

S. columbariae seeds shouldn't be hard to get. Theodore Payne sells them. This is a plant that always looks to me like it's on the verge of really looking spectacular but never quite gets there. I'm going to be heading into the desert during the coming week, so I'll look for S. columbariae along the way. Except for a couple of warm spells, we've had a mostly cool winter & spring, so many of the plants are a bit behind their usual schedule.

• basket76
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks ccroulet for your help !
    Yesterday I received Salvia penstemonoides, a plant and seeds from somebody living in Hungary. It is said that this Salvia is very difficult to grow. It needs a well drained place and humidity. I have read it on a very interesting book about Salvias named (in french) "La connaissance des sauges" by Christian FROISSARD.

• ccroulet
    13 years ago

S. columbariae was abundant on Apr 7 in the Whipple Mtns., San Bernardino Co., CA.

• basket76
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information ccroulet ! May I consider that I shall get seeds of columbariae and carduacea from you ? I ask for knowing if I must search yet.
    Wantonamara, could you send me your address by mail please. I have some seeds for you !

• ccroulet
    13 years ago

I'll try for S. columbariae. The problem isn't finding the plants. They are abundant in the right places. But they are sparing of seeds. I expect S. carducacea to be easy.

• basket76
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ! So I shall order seeds for columbariae and search for palaestinae, this last one is difficult to find indeed.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

I do not find Salvia penstemonoides hard to grow at all but I live where it is a native. It likes the soil some what Moist (in Central Texas terms, so this is relative) but I grow mine somewhat dry since I live high on a hill and have not a lot of water. I hear their natural habit is in moist bottom land. They will want some alkalinity and good drainage. I do find them drought tolerant. I grow them in part shade here in Texas, but again, our summer sun is brutal. This requirement might be different where you are. I think that it would benefit from some more soil richness than I can provide but it is a happy camper. It does take a while to bulk up here. It germinates very easily once it is warm. I have germinated it in the warm autumn and spring. the seedlings survived out doors in the winter (A cold Z 8)

• basket76
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all these details !
    Your address Wantonamara. I have seeds for you.

• ccroulet
    13 years ago

basket76: If you look at my thread "Salvia carduacea in California," you can see recent photos of two different patches of S. carduacea. It'll be a few weeks before we have seeds.

• basket76
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks ccroulet for your kind invitation. Wonderful photos and many details for growing the plant with success. It's always interesting seeing the natural conditions of the growing of a plant. Thanks also for your good memory thinking of my wanted seeds. You can ask anything you are seraching I shall try to help you finding.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms