Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefblac

Which Salvias give the best show of flowers for the longest time?

stefblac
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am new to Salvia growing but I was just wondering if anyone can give me a few good salvia suggestions. I was looking for a few varieties that provide lots of attractive flowers for 6+ months of the year in a warm temperate climate (we are zone 9 I think). Think the more flowers the better. It has been recommended elsewhere that I try S. microphylla and greggii. Would anyone concur?

Thanks in advance

Comments (8)

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

steblac:
    Yes both are evergreen you should find S.coccinea,miniata,
    chiapensis,splendens and guaranitica long flowering as well.Some
    hybrids like Indigo Spires,Mystic Spires and Purple Majesty
    should be very showy.
    Art

• dicot
    15 years ago

I would agree with S. microphylla and greggii at the top of the list. S. leucantha, elegans, guarantica and aurea have been long-flowering for me in S. California.

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Besides S. guaranitica, I would add S. miniata for zone 9 gardens. It can almost become a weed in Florida. It does well in our hot, humid summers.

• stefblac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I will look into them

• wardda
    14 years ago

For the 2nd year in a row the greggii hybrid Cherry Queen won the first to bloom competition. The first flowers opened this morning, a pleasant sight after a winter that featured temperatures as low a 3F. It is blooming when some of the other greggii/microphylla are just barely sprouting and others may require an obituary. Cherry Queen will be in bloom until hard freeze in the fall.

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

The one here that never seems to stop is:
    Salvia gramhammii x lemmmonii Maraschino Cherry
    Perennial shrub
    3Â x 3Â+w
    medium green ,heart-shaped, fruity scented
    Brilliant red flowers

• wardda
    14 years ago

I wonder if it is the weather Westelle because most summers my Maraschino mostly shuts down in mid summer and doesn't get rolling again until the weather begins to cool off in late September. Usually by season's end it is around 5 feet tall and hanging out in traffic.

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

I find my coral wild collected S. Microphylla flowers first
    S.grahamii and lemmonii don't do well in the Texas weather.
    Even some of the f2 jamensis hybrids don't start blooming before this wild collected microphylla. I also agree weather
    play's a very significant role in how plants behave.We had hail a month ago and plants are blooming their heads off.
    Art

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting