Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Salvias give the best show of flowers for the longest time?

Posted by stefblac Victoria, Australia (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 3:47

Hello everyone,

I am new to Salvia growing but I was just wondering if anyone can give me a few good salvia suggestions. I was looking for a few varieties that provide lots of attractive flowers for 6+ months of the year in a warm temperate climate (we are zone 9 I think). Think the more flowers the better. It has been recommended elsewhere that I try S. microphylla and greggii. Would anyone concur?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Salvias give the best show of flowers for the longest t

steblac:
Yes both are evergreen you should find S.coccinea,miniata,
chiapensis,splendens and guaranitica long flowering as well.Some
hybrids like Indigo Spires,Mystic Spires and Purple Majesty
should be very showy.
Art

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 17:27

I would agree with S. microphylla and greggii at the top of the list. S. leucantha, elegans, guarantica and aurea have been long-flowering for me in S. California.

o

Besides S. guaranitica, I would add S. miniata for zone 9 gardens. It can almost become a weed in Florida. It does well in our hot, humid summers.

o

• Posted by stefblac Victoria, Australia (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 0:30

Thanks for the advice, I will look into them

o

For the 2nd year in a row the greggii hybrid Cherry Queen won the first to bloom competition. The first flowers opened this morning, a pleasant sight after a winter that featured temperatures as low a 3F. It is blooming when some of the other greggii/microphylla are just barely sprouting and others may require an obituary. Cherry Queen will be in bloom until hard freeze in the fall.

o

The one here that never seems to stop is:
Salvia gramhammii x lemmmonii Maraschino Cherry
Perennial shrub
3 x 3+w
medium green ,heart-shaped, fruity scented
Brilliant red flowers

o

I wonder if it is the weather Westelle because most summers my Maraschino mostly shuts down in mid summer and doesn't get rolling again until the weather begins to cool off in late September. Usually by season's end it is around 5 feet tall and hanging out in traffic.

o

I find my coral wild collected S. Microphylla flowers first
S.grahamii and lemmonii don't do well in the Texas weather.
Even some of the f2 jamensis hybrids don't start blooming before this wild collected microphylla. I also agree weather
play's a very significant role in how plants behave.We had hail a month ago and plants are blooming their heads off.
Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here